Alex Neil is not relying on Bournemouth charity to boost Norwich City’s promotion bid
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Alex Neil is not relying on favours from Bournemouth as he starts to plot a potential Championship play-off push - which could pitch the Canaries into battle against bitter rivals Ipswich.
City's lingering hopes of an automatic promotion spot, behind Premier League-bound Watford, will be over if the Cherries beat Bolton at home on Monday night, following Norwich's 1-1 draw at Rotherham.
Neil's squad wrap up their league campaign at home to Fulham this weekend, but the fourth-placed Canaries would face an East Anglian play-off duel against fifth-placed Ipswich should the pair win their final matches of the regular season.
'If Bournemouth don't happen to win the game then it gives us another opportunity. If they do then good luck to them. They deserve to be where they are,' said Neil.
'It won't be difficult to lift my players at all because if we weren't going to get into the automatic spots then we have to go the play-off route.
'That looks to be where we are going to end up.
'I haven't given Ipswich any thought. Obviously I have run through the various scenarios if we were to go the play-offs. That is where my focus will be after the Fulham game, if it's where we end up. I will always back the character of my players because on our day we are as good as anybody in this league, We want to beat Fulham at home and then take that momentum into the play-offs.'
- 1 Revealed: Why wasps chase you and how to get rid of them this summer
- 2 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 3 Drought declared in Norfolk
- 4 Nine fire crews battling large field blaze near Norwich
- 5 Corrections made to prices at Yarmouth's new leisure centre
- 6 Smoke billows over Norwich as fire breaks out at Mousehold Heath
- 7 WATCH: Nudist camp saved from field fire by farmers
- 8 Where will be the hottest place in Norfolk this weekend?
- 9 Behind the scenes at Britain's most dilapidated hospital
- 10 Firefighters tackling large fire near country park