Norwich Canoe Club hosting National Kayak and Canoe Marathon Championships at Whitlingham
- Credit: Submitted
A massive carnival of canoeing and kayaking hits Norwich this weekend as Norwich Canoe Club host the National Kayak and Canoe Marathon Championships at Whitlingham.
There is an expected 1,000 entries in 54 separate race starts today and tomorrow, with paddlers travelling from all over the UK from 65 clubs to try and wrestle the team trophies away from the Norwich club, who are the current holders of both the senior marathon team trophy and the junior under-12 team trophy.
Paddlers will be racing in their single kayaks today and those in contention for individual national titles from Norwich are Tim Pendle in the senior men's race and Lucy-Lee Smith in the junior women's race.
Smith teams up with Livvy Rowe, also from Norwich, tomorrow in the doubles K2 race and Pendle is racing K2 with Andy Daniels from Longridge Canoe Club. Both crews are hot favourites to defend their 2014 titles.
Racing starts at 9am and goes on until 7pm on Saturday and 4pm on Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
Spectators are welcome, there will be food and drinks available, for more information go to www.norwichcanoeclub.co.uk.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 5 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 6 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 7 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 8 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 9 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk