Norwich 55, West Norfolk 0
Norwich started their competitive season with a comprehensive victory in the first round of the Norfolk Cup despite the absence of a number of their first choice forwards.
Centre Jordi Walker scored his first try after nine minutes following a strong run through the West Norfolk defence. Jonny O'Brien added the conversion and less than two minutes later, after a run and kick by O'Brien, Josh Ives scored near the touchline to make the score 12-0.
O'Brien made the next try for Walker after 15 minutes but was unable to kick the conversion. Then Walker and O'Brien combined to create a try for full back Jonny Wheater which O'Brien was unable to convert. With four minutes to go before half-time West Norfolk dropped the ball during an attack which reached man of the match Walker who completed his first half hat-trick, with O'Brien converting to take the score to 29-0.
Within two minutes of the start of the second half Joe Riches marked his return to Norwich, after a sojourn with Wymondham, with a try which young scrum-half JC Brown converted. Nine minutes later second row Chris Drohan crashed over after a quick penalty which Brown also converted.
West Norfolk were periodically creating scoring chances but lapses continually led to the ball being turned over. After 17 minutes Dougie Greenwood made a storming break in the centre and off-loaded to Toby Neill who scored near the posts, enabling Brown to convert to take the score to 50-0.
Norwich brought on Clark Hindle for his first game at scrum-half after returning to the club and he scored a try minutes before the end of the game after a quick penalty following a scrum infringement that Rob Micklethwaite was unable to convert.
Norwich know that they will face sterner opposition when the league season starts next week against newly promoted Cantabrigians.
- 1 Massive care village and research park planned for edge of Norwich
- 2 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp in popular park
- 3 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 4 Mods and rockers taking over Norfolk town for classic bike and scooter meet
- 5 Why is Norfolk not introducing a hosepipe ban?
- 6 Dash cams help police prosecute 400 drivers in a year
- 7 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 8 Warning to pet owners after chocolate dumped in seaside village
- 9 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 10 Norfolk attraction to hold its largest ever fireworks display