Norwich 20, S. Woodham Ferrers 17

Norwich won this game due to a superb first half performance when they were totally dominant and well worth their 15 point lead.

The second half was a rather disjointed affair disrupted by the issue of three yellow cards, one against Norwich and two against the visitors.

The deadlock was broken after 16 minutes when Norwich centre Scott Hancock broke down the blind side but despite being tackled short of the line he offloaded for prop Peter Hosking to crash over. JC Brown missed the conversion.

Moments later he was successful with a penalty after the referee penalised Greg Tighe for holding on in a tackle and rather harshly gave him a yellow card.

Norwich continued to play some bright football with backs and forwards combining well with some great support play. They were rewarded after 31 minutes with another try scored by second row Dan Knight in his last game for the club, after another break by Hancock from a quickly taken penalty. Brown kicked the conversion.

You may also want to watch:

The visitors had only been in the game spasmodically in the first half but and any thoughts of Norwich having it all their own way were soon dispelled. They could not get their hands on the ball for the first 10 minutes of the second half and their cause was not helped when full back Jonny Wheater was yellow carded for what seemed to be legitimate counter rucking. The visitors kicked to the corner from the resulting penalty and from the lineout second row James Wilson scored. Jack Reeve failed with the conversion.

They added a further uncoverted try after 16 minutes again from a penalty kicked to the corner and this time it was hooker Sam Sharp who got the touch down.

Most Read

This seemed to galvanise Norwich who had the advantage as the visitors' no 8 Ryan Marshall was sin binned after 24 minutes and was followed by Wilson some six minutes later. Quick Norwich ball from a five metre scrum was swiftly moved for replacement fly-half Nick Austin to score half way out. Brown, who was outstanding throughout, hit the upright with the conversion.

With time ticking away the visitors were not done and came back with a superb try from a blind side move scored by right wing Warren Duggan which Reeve duly converted to reduce the arrears to three points. It was a very nervous last five minutes for the home supporters who were pleased to hear the final whistle.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter