North Walsham score more tries than high-flying visitors - but honours end even

James Knights prepares to fend off an Amersham tackle. Picture: Hywel Jones

James Knights prepares to fend off an Amersham tackle. Picture: Hywel Jones - Credit: Archant

North Walsham drew at home against unbeaten Amersham & Chiltern after scoring three tries to the visitors' two.

Prop Acky Downing led the side out for his 100th appearance for the Vikings, to begin a tight game where keeping possession and making all tackles became paramount.

Tom Younie had an early run on the right wing and on 13 minutes Will Swart strode in under the posts for James Knight to convert.

Stuart Pearham hit a penalty for the visitors before Amersham wing Lloyd Anderson tiptoed through two tackles to score in the clubhouse corner, Pearham missing the conversion.

Chiltern were up fast in the centre of the field, forcing Walsham into some handling errors, and the home side were slow to distribute the ball from the breakdown, allowing the opposition time to reset.

You may also want to watch:

Elusive runner Anderson was almost to the line again for Amersham before a series of disrupted five-metre scrums led to a yellow card for Tim Weber and a seven-point penalty try for Chiltern.

Walsham responded with a bustling run from James Knight, sending Jim Riley over for Knight to add the extras.

Most Read

Just before the break home full-back Josh Brown had to leave the field with a head injury, to be replaced by Jake Duffield, and Pearhham missed a kickable penalty, leaving Amersham 15-14 ahead.

Pearham converted a penalty early in the second half as the contest remained in the balance. A further penalty on 61 minutes eased the visitors further in front.

Todd Scotland came on the flank for Walsham as Roydon Miller took the lineout and from the resulting rolling maul James Knight surged over the line and then converted his own goal to bring the sides level.

Knight had a chance to put the Vikings ahead from a penalty a short while later but a seemingly straightforward kick went awry.

Head of Rugby James Brooks said his side felt that they had lost a match that was there for the taking, but he couldn't fault the effort of his players who relish games against the top sides.

Consistent performer Swart was the Chalk Hill Brewery man of the match, after hitting all the lineouts and scoring the opening try.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus