North Walsham ready for any nasty surprises on their 2017 home finale
- Credit: Archant
North Walsham Vikings play their final home game of 2017 against Old Priorians this weekend – and having seen last week's results where they beat higher-placed Eton Manor 25-10 will know that they will provide stern opposition.
However, the visitors have not fared well 'on the road' – their sole success being at struggling Letchworth.
With just one query regarding the pack No8 Roydon Miller, having limped off with an ankle problem that might not prove serious enough to keep him out and Will Hodgson poised to return, the bulk of the changes are likely to affect the back line. Full-back Ben O'Hickey was knocked out and will be rested for at least two matches in accordance with RFU head injury protocol so it's likely Mike Braans will move from scrum-half with Lee Thomson taking on the No9 shirt.
Also missing is young wing Tom Younie with family commitments – his slot could to go to Will Quinn with a possible first appearance on the bench for Luke Burridge following a couple of good showings with the Raiders as he can cover either outside half or full-back.
The Raiders will be at home taking on Norwich Medics II in the first round of the Norfolk Bowl with a 1.30pm kick-off and the Warriors have a friendly, also at home, against a side from the Wensum Schools Trust which will kick off at 1.15pm.
Long-serving Walsham flanker Chris Godwin has been named Chalk Hill Brewery Player of the Month for November.
'Chris is having another outstanding season,' said head of rugby James Brooks. 'He tops the tackles made list every game averaging 23 which is very high, and is a potent attacking threat too. Incredibly fit, every match he is a potential Man of the Match.'
- 1 Row erupts after dozens of trees aligning footpath chopped down
- 2 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 3 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 4 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 5 Winter Wonderland coming to park with ice slide, donkeys and reindeer
- 6 Panoramic views for every customer after award-winning restaurant's refurb
- 7 Christmas lights switch-on cancelled due to forecasted high winds
- 8 Freezing cold temperatures could see snow in parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 9 Norfolk boxer fined for exercising in Chapelfield Gardens during lockdown
- 10 Primary pupil sexually assaulted on way to school
Godwin joined the Vikings 13 years ago whilst a UEA student; originally a winger he converted to flanker in 2007. A broken leg in 2009 meant 15 months out, but he has now made over 230 appearances and is in the top 20 of the club's top points scorers.
Father of two young children and working at Marsh he admits to occasionally finding it challenging to juggle his various responsibilities: 'I still enjoy rugby tremendously and North Walsham is a wonderful club to be part of, both on and of the field.'