North Walsham 32 Norwich 14: Brooks signs off with win as Vikings retain Norfolk Senior Cup
- Credit: Archant
On a baking-hot late afternoon at Diss a large crowd at the Norfolk Big Rugby Weekend saw North Walsham retain the Norfolk Senior Cup by beating Norwich by six tries to two.
Both sides employed rolling substitutions throughout the game, with water breaks in each half.
Theo Elliott missed an early penalty for Norwich, before Dan Smith touched down for the Vikings, Jake Duffield's conversion going over off the left upright. Roydon Miller followed up for Walsham with a solo effort from half way, Duffield's kick again bouncing in off the upright.
Simon Darby carried well for Norwich, and Elliott was to remain a threat all afternoon.
Next, Vikings' wing Jim Riley picked up in the tackle to send Josh Brown over, Duffield adding the extras, before Brown joined the line and Will Swart went away for converted try number four.
You may also want to watch:
Just before the break an interception by Smith, who ran the length of the pitch, put the holders 35-0 ahead at half time.
With a man in the sin bin, Walsham started the second half with a strike against the head at a five metre scrum and a try for Will Hodgson, converted by Harry Downing.
- 1 Father stabbed to death 'after argument about motorbike noise'
- 2 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 3 Man dies after 'industrial incident' at farm
- 4 Four fish and chip shops listed among the best in the country
- 5 'I ran for my life' - Neighbour who saw fatal row tells of terror
- 6 Murder victim is named as accused under armed guard in hospital
- 7 Mental health hospital owed £2m to staff and creditors when it shut
- 8 Man killed and three wounded in multiple stabbing
- 9 Smokehouse to be showcased on BBC One’s Antiques Road Trip
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital with serious injuries after falling from cliff
Norwich kept coming however, with Elliott in flourishing form, but the Walsham defence held firm.
In mid half, a brawl in centre field, with at least one punch thrown, saw a player from each side sent off.
Norwich kept up the pressure, with a try saving turnover by Brown and a last ditch tackle by Duffield keeping them out.
Five minutes from time, with Walsham down to 13 men following another yellow card, repeated Norwich pressure led to a penalty try award.
The Lions followed this up with a move from inside their own half, Chris Parrott finally getting over the whitewash for Elliott to convert.
Departing North Walsham Head of Rugby James Brooks felt it was a great day to finish off at the club, with the Raiders also taking the trophy in the Norfolk Bowl final against Diss earlier in the day.