North Walsham 32 Norwich 14: Brooks signs off with win as Vikings retain Norfolk Senior Cup
- Credit: Archant
On a baking-hot late afternoon at Diss a large crowd at the Norfolk Big Rugby Weekend saw North Walsham retain the Norfolk Senior Cup by beating Norwich by six tries to two.
Both sides employed rolling substitutions throughout the game, with water breaks in each half.
Theo Elliott missed an early penalty for Norwich, before Dan Smith touched down for the Vikings, Jake Duffield's conversion going over off the left upright. Roydon Miller followed up for Walsham with a solo effort from half way, Duffield's kick again bouncing in off the upright.
Simon Darby carried well for Norwich, and Elliott was to remain a threat all afternoon.
Next, Vikings' wing Jim Riley picked up in the tackle to send Josh Brown over, Duffield adding the extras, before Brown joined the line and Will Swart went away for converted try number four.
You may also want to watch:
Just before the break an interception by Smith, who ran the length of the pitch, put the holders 35-0 ahead at half time.
With a man in the sin bin, Walsham started the second half with a strike against the head at a five metre scrum and a try for Will Hodgson, converted by Harry Downing.
- 1 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 2 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 3 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 4 Store open despite positive Covid test at town centre Sainsbury's
- 5 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 6 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 7 PM warns there will be no 'open sesame' lockdown exit
- 8 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 9 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 10 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
Norwich kept coming however, with Elliott in flourishing form, but the Walsham defence held firm.
In mid half, a brawl in centre field, with at least one punch thrown, saw a player from each side sent off.
Norwich kept up the pressure, with a try saving turnover by Brown and a last ditch tackle by Duffield keeping them out.
Five minutes from time, with Walsham down to 13 men following another yellow card, repeated Norwich pressure led to a penalty try award.
The Lions followed this up with a move from inside their own half, Chris Parrott finally getting over the whitewash for Elliott to convert.
Departing North Walsham Head of Rugby James Brooks felt it was a great day to finish off at the club, with the Raiders also taking the trophy in the Norfolk Bowl final against Diss earlier in the day.