North Walsham keep up the good work

James Knight touches down for North Walsham despite the attentions of two Thurrock opponents. Pictur

James Knight touches down for North Walsham despite the attentions of two Thurrock opponents. Picture: HYWEL JONES - Credit: Archant

North Walsham continued their fine form with an impressive victory over fellow top six opponents.

Such a result looked improbable after the hosts had been pinned back deep in their territory for the first half hour but two converted tries in the final five minutes of the first half gave them a 14-0 lead.

Within five minutes of the restart they then doubled their score and there was no way back for the shocked visitors.

Thurrock, who had won their last two games convincingly, began confidently and it took an excellent tackle two metres out from Josh Brown to keep them out.

The momentum continued to be with visitors throughout the first 25 minutes but gradually the home side came more into it and five minutes before half-time they scored from their first concerted attack, Tim Weber piling over after good work from Harry Downing and Mike Hendry, the latter in his last game before returning to Australia. Jake Duffield converted and on the stroke of half-time Will Findlay tapped a five metre penalty to nip over for another converted try.

You may also want to watch:

The transformation continued after the break, the Vikings scoring four tries in the third quarter, three converted. In the first minute quick hands took the ball to Chalk Hill Brewery man-of-the-match Brown who evaded five defenders over 50 metres.

Four minutes later James Knight scored after Duffield had made an incisive break and Knight then added his second, unstoppable from 10 metres despite the attention of three tacklers, before initiating arguably the try of the match. The centre made a 40 metre run from deep, Hendry and Jordan Mustard kept the move going and, after quick breakdown ball, Tom Browes surged over from 15 metres to make it 40-0.

Most Read

Tries from Troy Michie and Barand, who converted both, deservedly got Thurrock on the scoreboard while sandwiched in between was the Vikings' seventh try as Ed Sampson ran 20 metres before passing to Mustard who raced home.

This was the Vikings tenth win from the last 12 and was based around their defence and taking scoring opportunities.

'It was a great effort, we did everything well,' said coach James Brooks.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter