North Walsham keep their nerve to record another outstanding win

Will Haynes sets off on a run for North Walsham at Fullerians. Picture: Hywel Jones

Will Haynes sets off on a run for North Walsham at Fullerians. Picture: Hywel Jones - Credit: Archant

For the second week running the Vikings came from behind to record an outstanding victory.

Two points down 15 minutes before the break, they regained the lead on the stroke of half-time and controlled matters thereafter.

The turnaround was not as dramatic as against Ruislip, but they overcame many hurdles: injuries, no regular goal kicker and a difficult time in the scrums.

Jake Duffield was injured in the warm-up, so James Knight played at fly-half, Tom Younie made his debut and the Vikings had just two substitutes.

They stamped their authority from the start and it was no surprise when in the seventh minute Ryan Oakes raced over from 30 metres. Knight converted from the touchline but missed from in front 10 minutes later after Lachlan Brown-Bates had barrelled over.

You may also want to watch:

Fullerians barely got out of their half until the second quarter but when they did it was to deadly effect. Brown-Bates was sin-binned and while he was away Fullerians used their big pack for George Harvey to score two tries in five minutes, Daniel Evans converting both to make it 14-12 after 25 minutes.

The Vikings soon regained control, however, and Josh Brown eluded four defenders from 20 metres to score and convert himself, putting them five points ahead at the break.

Most Read

Fullerians tried hard to get back into the game at the start of the second half but the away defence was impeccable.

Two tries in three minutes then killed off Fullerians' hopes of a comeback. The first was initiated by Younie who raced back to his line to retrieve a relieving kick before evading three tacklers in a run to halfway where Dan Smith and Brown-Bates continued the move; the ball was eventually lost, but pressure led to a poor kick out of defence and Jim Riley raced over. He then got a second after Brown carved open the defence in a 60-metre run.

The game then meandered until the final play when Brown burst through and Hal Riley finished off a move involving Smith, Mike Braans and Will Haynes with Brown converting.

Head coach James Brooks was particularly pleased with the defence - 'outstanding in the second half' - and nominated Will Swart as Chalk Hill Brewery man of the match.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus