North Walsham gymnast scoops regional title
A 12-year-old gymnast from North Walsham Gymnastics Club has vaulted and somersaulted her way to first place in the regional finals of this year's competition season in the sport.
Paige Yarham earned top ranking with scores of vault 12.20, bars 12.200, beam 11.800 and floor 11.300 at the contest in Ipswich.
Fellow North Walsham club member Nicole Powley gained 10th place in the competition which was her first outside Norfolk.
The start of the season, in February, saw Paige's first foray into out-of-county competition when she took part in a new event, the Alpha Factor, a national open competition, at Ipswich.
Despite her handguards coming off in the middle of her bar routine, Paige still managed to claw her way into third place, with a score on beam of 11.10 - the highest in her group - a vault, and the best floor score of 10.80.
You may also want to watch:
In April the club entered 15 gymnasts into the county grades competition held at Norwich Gymnastics Club: Molly Kirlew, Jessica Boddy, Amy Mann, Tamzin Nichols, Ellena King, Sophie McCrudden, Victoria Love, Lauren Edens, Abigail Bunn, Ellen Smith, Faith Jones, Georgia Pegg, Paige Yarham, Nicole Powley and Abigail Gower.
Abigail Bunn came second at grade 13, Georgia Pegg 3rd at grade 12 and Nicole Powley 3rd at Grade 11. The trio each gained regional places as well.
- 1 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 2 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 3 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 4 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 5 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 6 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 7 Out on the beat - we join police Covid patrol on the seafront
- 8 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 9 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 10 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
Paige managed to better her score at this competition against even more competitors and came away with the silver medal.
The club will celebrate its 10th anniversary in October under the leadership of Alexis Thurston and Pat Johnson at North Walsham Sports Centre.
There are over 150 on its waiting list and it is looking for a permanent home and sponsors for equipment. The club's next fund-raising event will be a bingo evening in Gimingham Village Hall on June 3 at 7.30pm.