North Walsham 30, Ipswich 21

North Walsham, who this week in 1962 played their first ever game, opened up a seven-point lead over Ipswich at the top of London 2NE, after a match which saw them 25-0 ahead with 20 minutes to go.

In the last quarter, a breakdown of discipline left the visitors only missing out on a losing bonus point with the last kick of the afternoon.

Henry Dewing was successful with two penalties in the first 10 minutes, and Chris Godwin got to within five metres of the Ipswich line shortly after. The Vikings had the edge in the set pieces, with locks Leon Davies and Chris Kent carrying well in the back line, while the front row of Campbell, McCall and Loose were dynamic in broken play.

Despite having most of the possession, Walsham were finding it difficult to score. Chris Borrett opted for field position rather than the posts with a penalty before the returning Pena Sokia made a break over half way, only to be held up over the Ipswich line. Dean Blyth then got a touchdown, following a break by Will Hodgson, but was penalised for knocking on. Tom Coller remained in control of the line-out whilst Adie Ball and Shaun Cahill were putting in some big tackles.

Eventually the pack drove Mark McCall over for the first try, Dewing's conversion attempt came back off the left upright. Godwin got the second try soon after the restart, following good interplay between himself, Kent and van Vuuren, and was then replaced by Gerald Hegarty. Dewing converted.

The Ipswich line-out began to function on their own put in, with clean takes by Toby Kemp and Liam Brittain, and wing Tim Hopkins had several powerful runs.

Aki Downing replaced Stuart Loose in the front row before Davies went to the sin bin for repeatedly infringing at the breakdown.

Most Read

Walsham No 5 Kent scored the third try with a trademark run up the left wing, breaking three tackles on the way to the line, Dewing converting. Ipswich replied with a try by Brittain, from a pass by scrum-half John Lasbrey, who also converted the goal.

The game then swung back to the other end, Borrett kicking ahead for Dewing to gather and score out wide to the right. This brought the bonus point, but went unconverted, and Dewing gave way to Kurt Benney at full-back.

Ipswich three quarters Carlton Littlechild and Jermaine Watson were beginning to get over the gain line before prop Frederick Liebenberg went in under the crossbar, for Lasbrey to convert.

Further pressure resulted in more infringements, leaving Walsham wing van Vuuren with a yellow card, and a further Ipswich try between the posts for full-back Craig Burrows. Lasbrey added the two points, but at the final whistle, pulled his penalty kick to the left of the uprights.

• North Walsham Raiders retained their position at the top of the table after a hard-fought 34-7 win at Wisbech II. The scores came from tries by Ian Webster, Garry Phelps, Jon Younie, Harry Downing, Jack Dove and Rueben Berghan with conversions by Dove and Ollie Dyke.

Playing their first game of the season and with three men playing their first ever game the Warriors came from 19-0 to finish just four points adrift against Lowestoft and Yarmouth III with tries from Steve Bell, Peter D'Amery and Mark Scott.