Norfolk youngster George Catchpole selected for Aviva Premiership debut by Leicester Tigers
- Credit: Tiger Images
Former North Walsham junior player George Catchpole will make his Aviva Premiership debut for Leicester Tigers tomorrow night.
The 21-year-old centre has featured in Leicester's last two matches, starting victories over Northampton Saints and Cardiff Blues in the LV= Cup.
With the club's senior stars away for the Six Nations, as well as injuries in the Tigers midfield, Catchpole has grabbed his chance with both hands.
The former England Under-20 international, from St Olaves, near Great Yarmouth, set up two tries and played an integral part in another as Leicester won 43-9 in Cardiff to earn a home semi-final in the LV= Cup.
His performance drew praise from assistant coach Richard Blaze and has now seen him retained for league action, as Gloucester head for Welford Road on Friday night (7.45pm).
You may also want to watch:
Catchpole picked up a foot injury early in the season and played on loan in the Championship with Doncaster Knights to recover his fitness.
The former Norwich School pupil, who was part of the England U20 team which defended the IRB Junior World Championship title last summer, has now retained his place at outside-centre.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 3 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 4 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 6 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 7 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 8 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 9 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 10 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
He starts alongside Fijian international Seremaia Bai at centre, allowing Niki Goneva to return to the wing. Freddie Burns will start at fly-half against his former club and Graham Kitchener returns from England training to bolster the second row.
Catchpole is one of only three players to retain their place from the LV= Cup team, as he continues to follow in the footsteps of Norfolk stars Ben and Tom Youngs with Leicester.