Norfolk women’s teams enjoy most successful seasons ever
- Credit: Submitted
Norfolk's over-50 and over-60 county teams have both had their most successful season ever in the county championships this year.
The 50s team, captained by Patricia Peal, were in one of the top two divisions, and won all five matches. They played Avon (4-1), Hampshire and Isle of Wight (4-1), Yorkshire (3-2), Surrey (3-2) and Kent (4-1).
Also in the team were Judy Horn, Sue Rich, Jane Ray, Audrone Strasauskiene, Lesley Cooper and Jane Ling.
The 60s team, captained by Angela Roy, also competed in one of the two top divisions, and were drawn against South Wales (5-0), Middlesex (5-0), Surrey (3-2), West of Scotland (5-0), and Hertfordshire (5-0). It was an amazing achievement to only drop two rubbers all season, but included a very tight match against Surrey, when a win was achieved on a championship tie-break third set 11-9 in the final rubber!
Also in the squad were Caroline Blincoe, Jane Ling, Sally Farman, Mary Ogden.
You may also want to watch:
These results mean that both Norfolk teams have been invited to play in the county play-off finals in Dudley, over the weekend of November 7-8.
The 60s will be playing the current holders Hereford and Worcester, starting at 10am on Saturday, November 7, and the 50s will be competing on Sunday, November 8 at 10am, playing Essex, a team which includes former Norfolk player Amanda Michelow (nee Brown).
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 4 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 5 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 6 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 7 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 8 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 9 St Benedict's Street restaurant closes due to 'pingdemic'
- 10 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
Any support for the teams in Dudley would be much appreciated.