Norfolk sailors rewarded for their contributions – by Royal appointment
- Credit: Archant
Two Norfolk sailors are to receive one of the Royal Yachting Association's most prestigious awards.
Janet Gilmour has been recognised for her commitment to Buckenham Sailing Club and the Norfolk and Suffolk Boating Association (NSBA), while Sally Dugdale is rewarded for her work in the International Topper Class Association (GBR).
Gilmour was nominated for a Regional Award and Dugdale for an Outstanding Contribution – both have been selected as winners by the RYA Honours and Awards Panel and will receive their awards from the Princess Royal at the organisation's annual awards ceremony in London on Friday.
Gilmour has been a member of the Norfolk and Suffolk Boating Association Committee for over 15 years, and involved with organising a number of their key events. She served on the RYA Eastern Regional Committee for 10 years and has been a member of Buckenham SC for over 30 years, in a wide variety of roles.
She is a founder organiser of the club's annual Triple B Race, a 30-mile passage race on the River Yare, which she continues to organise.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'I was absolutely amazed when I first learnt I was to receive an RYA Volunteer Award. I am thrilled to be honoured for helping others to enjoy sailing as much as I do. Buckenham Sailing Club and the NSBA have been part of my life for a long time. I am really looking forward to receiving the award from the Princess Royal and meeting other volunteers at the presentation and lunch in London.'
Dugdale has contributed to the International Topper Class Association as a parent, committee member and chairman. As East Area representative she encouraged a number of East Region sailors into ITCA and has seen them progress through junior, youth, podium and university sailing, as well as coaching.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 3 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 4 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 5 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 6 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 7 Norfolk Day 2021: Your must-have guide to all events
- 8 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 9 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
- 10 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
She is committed to the motto that the Topper is 'the friendly class' and been involved in major event organisation, as well as coaching regionally and nationally.
She said: 'I was really surprised and feel honoured to have been given this award. I am really looking forward to the day but feeling quite nervous.'