Norfolk Women’s League Premier Division leaders Panthers pick up where they left off

Premier Division leaders Panthers resumed league action after an enforced three-week break due to the weather and picked up where they left off with a 3-1 win at Pelicans II.

Panthers took control of the game straight away and Gail Rudd gave them the lead after an excellent run and pass from Georgina Stannett.

Rudd also claimed the second Panthers goal following a goalmouth scramble, with Stannett again involved. Stannett then scored the third goal herself after combining effectively with Rachel Mayes.

Pelicans pulled a goal back following a defensive lapse but Panthers held on comfortably to maintain their eight-point lead.

Second-placed UEA crushed second from bottom Harleston Magpies 6-0.

The students scored four times in the first half and following five successive short corners in the second period, they finally added a fifth, closely followed by the sixth.

Thetford could only field 10 players for their match at home to fellow strugglers Lowestoft Railway and were happy to come away with a 0-0 draw.

Most Read

The hosts were unable to convert several short corners and ultimately had keeper Jess Simpson to thank for making two fine saves as the match remained goalless.

Norwich City II kept in touch with the leaders after their 4-3 victory at Dereham III.

City went ahead when Caroline Illing deflected Sarah Shelley's shot from a penalty corner into the net.

Illing added the second when she drove into the circle and shot through the keeper's legs.

The third goal arrived before half-time as Rebecca Green evaded a defender and neatly slipped the ball past the keeper.

Dereham responded strongly after the break and within two minutes they had scored twice to get right back into the game.

Shelley stretched the lead to 4-2 from a penalty corner, but Dereham scored again with six minutes remaining to set up a nervous finale. City held on to take the points, with Verity Nouch producing some important saves.

In Division One, it is now all-square on points at the top after Diss thrashed UEA II 7-1 and leaders Norwich City III could only draw 0-0 at Dereham IV.

Diss took the lead through Sarah Woods' close range shot and they had numerous chances to go further ahead, including a penalty flick which saw Toni Glover's effort palmed away by the keeper.

Glover made amends with a shot high into the net and Sam Howard added the third from a rebound.

UEA got one back from a short corner, but straight from the restart Lucy Kershaw scored a fourth for Diss, with Woods adding a fifth before half-time.

Glover scored again in the second half from just inside the D and then completed her hat-trick following good play from Tash Blakely and a cross from Howard.

Norwich Dragons III overcame a slow start to win 2-0 at bottom side Yarmouth II.

Emma Moolman, Amelia Dawson and Sue Cross had efforts on goal for Dragons in the first half, but the scoreline remained blank.

The Dragons continued to dominate possession in the second period and finally scored twice in quick succession, with Cross and Clara Moolman the scorers.

In Division Two, Fakenham Evergreens moved above Norwich City V into third with a 2-0 victory.

Evergreens survived a strong start from City and went on to take the lead through Trudi Moulton five minutes before half-time. Faye Hanson doubled the advantage in the second half.