Norfolk Women’s League: Panthers are closing in on title success

Panthers dropped points for only the second time this season on Saturday – but they now need just one more win to secure the Premier Division title.

They were held to a 2-2 draw by UEA – the only team left who have a mathematical chance of catching Panthers – before claiming a 3-0 walkover win on Sunday when Thetford conceded the game.

Panthers took an early lead against UEA when Georgina Stannett crossed for Gail Rudd to fire home.

UEA equalised just before half-time with an unstoppable strike from a penalty corner and then took the lead after the break. Panthers restored parity when Zoe Gotts intercepted the ball and fed Gemma Rolph to score the equaliser.

They will now be hoping to clinch the title at Beccles this weekend.

Norwich City II moved up to second with a 6-0 thumping of Harleston Magpies IV.

Caroline Illing (2), Lauren Lawrie, Rebecca Green, Imogen Ridley and Ellie Brine were on target for City.

Most Read

Evergreens gained revenge for their defeat at home to Watton earlier in the season as they won the reverse fixture 2-1.

The Fakenham side piled on the pressure in the first half and took the lead when Faye Hanson was twice denied by the Watton keeper, but scored at the third attempt.

Evergreens doubled their lead in the second period when Harriet Segasby found Sarah Pruden and her precision strike hit the net. Watton halved the deficit from a short corner but Evergreens held on to take the points.

Thetford's recent good form continued on Saturday with a 6-2 drubbing of Beccles.

Dawn Heavey scored a hat-trick, Kathy Hammond added a brace and Sophie Wheeler was also on the scoresheet.

Division One title rivals Norwich City III and Diss remain locked together at the top of the table after drawing 1-1 on Saturday.

It was first blood to Diss as Toni Glover fired the visitors in front.

They preserved their lead going into half-time thanks to Pam Keeley, who made a vital tackle, but suffered a cut hand in the process and had to depart for A&E.

City pushed hard for an equaliser after the break and it arrived with 15 minutes remaining, as Amber Sayers supplied the pass for Jess Harris to score.

Broadland eased to a 4-1 success against Sprowston II.

Holley Becker's reverse flick gave Broadland the lead at half-time and in the second period they added further goals through Carolyn Duthie and Sarah Knights (2).

A young Reepham side showed plenty of spirit in a 3-0 defeat to UEA II.

Reepham keeper Carrine Carter saved a penalty flick in the first half, but soon afterwards the students took the lead.

The UEA continued to dominate in the second half and although Reepham defended valiantly, two more goals followed to complete the win.

Norwich Dragons III found Harleston Magpies V too hot to handle in a 5-0 defeat.

Magpies took an early lead and added three more before half-time. Dragons improved after the break and although they forced several short corners, they could not find a way back into the game. Magpies added their fifth with a short corner strike.

A late winner from Teresa McInally sealed a 3-2 victory for Norwich City IV at Loddon II in Division Two.

Vicki Mason scored twice to put City firmly in charge at half-time, but Loddon responded strongly after the break to draw level. City held their nerve and were rewarded when McInally snatched the winner.

Evergreens II are still in contention for the runners-up spot after a 1-1 draw at Harleston Magpies VI.

Magpies took a first half lead but Evergreens equalised through Tracy Brain and then saw Ellie Lynn, Chantelle Baker and Rose McCourt all denied by the Magpies keeper.

Division Two leaders UEA III suffered only their second defeat of the season as they were beaten 3-0 by Norwich Dragons IV.

Laura Goodbun raced through to open the scoring and Klara Moolman doubled the lead, before adding a third to secure the points.

n Pelicans' men reached the last four of the Masters Plate competition, beating Leicester 4-2 on flicks after the tie finished 3-3. They are at home to Bournemouth in the semi-finals.