Norfolk Women’s League: Dereham Ladies II get season off to a flyer

Dereham Ladies II got their Norfolk Women's League Premier Division campaign off to a flying start with a 5-1 win over their third team.

The first goals came from the seconds with Bex Hazel getting on the end of a fast ball into the D.

Gemma Pointer increased the goal tally by taking the ball calmly round the keeper and running it into the back of the net.

The seconds were 3-0 by half-time but weren't having everything their own way with Jacquie Taylor missing several chances for the thirds.

Not long into the second half Bex Hazel and Fran DeSouza showed some incredible talent, working the ball around many players and very nearly scoring.

The thirds came back strong and determined, with young Megan Elliot scoring a great goal to take the final score to 5-1.

The seconds' man of the match was Olivia Boyce who played right back, holding up the thirds' midfield at every opportunity and putting in some remarkable tackles.

Most Read

– Norwich City Ladies III kicked off their league campaign with a confident performance which earned them a 4-1 win.

City played a fast paced opening 20 minutes to go 3-0 up. The first goal came from Sue Tomlinson before promising newcomer Alice Buxton made it 2-0.

Immy Ray made it 3-0 while Summer Haylock was on top form in goal, making a string a saves to keep City's lead.

However, concentration slipped before the break and let Watton's talented forward line finally find the net.

Braced for a second half fight back, City sustained an intense level in the second half, and soaked up some early pressure, but gradually took control.

The final goal came from Alice Buxton - a deceptively simple effort, slotted home with great poise.

Player of the match went to Summer for her commanding performance in goal.

– Newly-promoted Norwich Dragons III started the season with an encouraging 2-1 win away to Lowestoft Railway I.

The visitors started slowly and the home side had the better of the first 15 minutes.

Lowestoft Railway took the lead when an opportunistic strike from the edge of the circle went in at the far post.

As the half wore on Dragons settled and as half-time approached they were penetrating their opponents' circle at will, winning a flurry of penalty corners. Their deserved equaliser came from the last short corner of the first half. Caroline Wolfe took the first shot which came back to her off the goalkeeper. Her second shot beat the goalkeeper and was touched over the line at the right-hand post by Emma Moolman.

Dragons went from strength to strength in the second half, mounting a number of fluent counter-attacks reminiscent of the progressive hockey of last season.

The longer the game went on the more Dragons took control.

At the back Sophie Thomas typified the resolute Dragons defending with a composed goalline clearance. In midfield Lucy Hopgood, in a player of the match performance, displayed energy and invention.

Up front Dragons always carried a goal threat with Caroline Wolfe in and around the attacking circle.

The winning goal came midway through the second half when Wolfe's penalty corner strike beat the goalkeeper and was touched in at the left-hand post by Pollyanna Watson.