Norfolk Women’s Hockey League: Harleston Magpies late goal secures crucial victory
Harleston Magpies IV won their relegation showdown with Watton II 2-1 to confirm their Premier Division status for another season.
Needing a win to finish outside the bottom two a point ahead of their rivals, Magpies took the lead when Laura Schultheiss fired past the keeper, but Watton equalised late in the first half with a strike from a short corner. It remained all-square until late in the game. Magpies won a short corner and Sarah Legg stepped up to score the winner as Magpies secured their third successive victory.
Lowestoft Railway were unable to avoid the drop as they lost 3-1 at home to Thetford Ladies.
The visitors went ahead when Kathy Hammond tapped the ball in and Thetford held the single-goal advantage at half-time. After the break Sophie Kelly's fine run resulted in a short corner and she converted the opportunity by scooping her shot over the keeper.
Hammond netted her second, seizing on a rebounbd after Leanne Smith's shot was saved.
In their previous victory, Dawn Heavey scored both Thetford goals in a 2-0 win over Pelicans.
Evergreens II maintained their challenge for runners-up spot in Division Two with a double success at the weekend.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 3 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 4 'Our homes will be destroyed' - Neighbours' fears over proposed pylon route
- 5 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 6 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
- 7 Norwich pub selling out on Sundays with new head chef's roast dinners
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 Sweet Briar Road to reopen TODAY
- 10 Scammers targeting Norfolk homes with fake parcel deliveries
On Saturday they thumped Norwich City IV 7-1.
Evergreens were 2-0 up within 10 minutes, Faye Hanson scoring both goals. Tracy Brain added two more from close range and Chantelle Baker's strike from just inside the circle gave the Fakenham side a commanding 5-0 lead at half-time.
Evergreens were less impressive in the second half, although Stacey Nicholl added two more goals before City grabbed a late consolation.
On Sunday, Evergreens II were in similarly rampant form as they won 5-0 at Hornets.
First half goals from Hanson and Nicholl put the visitors in charge and after the break Annie McCourt (2) and Hanson completed the rout.
Norwich Dragons IV also enjoyed two wins in Division Two at the weekend. On Saturday they beat a 10-player Harleston Magpies VI side 4-1, with goals from Lynne Price, Lizzy McDonnell, Lois McGregor and Amy Brown.
Sunday's win over Breckland was a tighter affair, with Bridget LeGood scoring the winner.