Norfolk Under-25s strike gold at inter-county event in Nottingham
- Credit: Submitted
Norfolk's men claimed a national tenpin bowling title at Under-25 Inter Counties event in Nottingham.
Norfolk's U25 men's and women's teams were taking part in the very first U25 Inter Counties, which was previously an U24 event, where the top eight teams in both divisions made it through to a knockout matchplay final.
The women – consisting of Abigail Cater, Rachel Hodds, Laura Baldwin, Charlene McCabe and Jordann Dickinson – finished in ninth place and missed out on eighth by just 16 pins.
Cater topped the averages for Norfolk with a 179 average, closely followed by Hodds' 171 and McCabe's 166.
The men qualified for the finals in fifth place. Rob Cater led the way in qualifying, averaging 223 with games including 259, 245, 236, 257, 224.
You may also want to watch:
Another U18 bowler, Alex Pates, performed consistently throughout qualifying, with six of his seven games over 200. Ben Punter also had good games, of 216, 221, 237, and all the others bowled to a high standard.
On to the knockout finals and Norfolk beat Hampshire 838-772, then Dorset 900-860, and finally Durham 843-757. Punter was in magnificent form with games of 235, 216 and 276. Karl Chown also had good games of 215, 235, 203 and Pates continued his fine form with further games of 223 and 240.
- 1 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 2 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 3 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 4 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 5 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 6 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 7 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out
- 8 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 9 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 10 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47