Norfolk turn to Swardeston 16-year-old
Swardeston prodigy Callum Taylor will make his senior Norfolk debut against Northumberland at Manor Park on Sunday – at the age of 16 years and 26 days.
In terms of days alone that would make him the equal youngest player to represent Norfolk in the Minor Counties Championship along with Sam Arthurton.
But the Great Witchingham opener technically remains top of the list – having apparently been younger by five hours and ten minutes when he became Norfolk's youngest post-war debutant against Buckinghamshire in 2008.
Taylor, who made his East Anglian Premier League debut for Swardeston when he was only 14 – making 60 against Cambridge Granta at The Common – makes his senior county bow on the opening day of the Norfolk Cricket Festival.
The Essex Academy prospect, who recently left Cromer High School, goes into the weekend in superb form, having hit Swardeston into the quarter-finals of the ECB Cockspur Cup 45-overs competition on Sunday with 89 not out off 90 balls – see story left.
Ironically Arthurton is one of five potential would-be starters who was not available for selection. He is on Essex 2nds duty, Luke Caswell has just become a father and both of this season's wicket-keepers, Stephen Gray and Sam Groves, are unavailable, as was Harry Bush.
Norwich glovesman Jason Blake therefore gets his second Norfolk outing behind the stumps – three years after his debut in the 'scores level draw' against Cumberland at Furness. Horsford's Nathan Perry-Warnes opens in place of Arthurton and, along with Blake, Ben France and Ryan Findlay, makes his 'home' Championship debut.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 3 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 4 'Our homes will be destroyed' - Neighbours' fears over proposed pylon route
- 5 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 6 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
- 7 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 8 Norwich pub selling out on Sundays with new head chef's roast dinners
- 9 Sweet Briar Road to reopen TODAY
- 10 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
After opening the Festival against Northumberland, Norfolk face Buckinghamshire (July 21-23) and Lincolnshire (August 4-6).
Norfolk team: JM Spelman (Gt Witchingham), ND Perry-Warnes (Horsford), BJ France (Clacton), TR Ward (Leicester Ivanhoe), PA Lambert (Swardeston), CJ Taylor (Swardeston), RJ Findlay (Northant), C Brown (capt, Horsford), MP Eccles (Swardeston), KJ Bunting (Gt Witchingham).