Norfolk turn on the style for Inter-County Atherley Trophy win
Playing in the first round of the Inter-County Atherley Trophy Norfolk never looked like losing as they romped to a 140–91 win against Leicestershire, winning five rinks and drawing on the sixth.
This was sweet revenge on Leicestershire as they had lost on all six rinks against them in the outdoor Johns Trophy in the summer.
Rebecca Carter, Pearl Wilson, Mary Johnson and Carole Baker trailed for the first few ends, but a four on the fifth end put them in front and they raced to a 31–13 win against E Radford's rink.
Ann Leverett, Beverley Masters, Louise Catchpole, and Louise Hannant started off with five on the first end and had a comfortable 25–15 victory over N Lakin.
Carol Pollington's rink of Jackie Andrews, Anne Read, Jenny Morrison were slow starters and trailed for the first five ends, but they then edged in front and held out to get a 24–14 win against P Sutton.
Sue Gravenor, Pat Last and Pat Baker were ably skipped by Marion Himpleman as they trailed for seven ends before edging in front and holding their advantage to return a 18 -12 card against K Fudger.
Jayne Roylance's rink of Pauline Wright, Maureen Emment, Rebecca Field led from the beginning against a tough quartet, skipped by B Lewis, but always kept their noses in front to take the game 23–18.
- 1 Hopes rekindled for new £20m railway station
- 2 'We're over the moon': Family overjoyed as missing Norwich girl returns home
- 3 'Please come home': Family's plea to help find missing Norwich girl
- 4 Snow starts to fall in Norfolk - but will it last?
- 5 Patient dies while waiting in ambulance for hospital bed
- 6 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed
- 7 John Lewis boss bids farewell to Norwich store after nearly three decades
- 8 Obituary: Owner of huge collection of vintage tractors dies aged 75
- 9 Warning for drivers as Met Office issues ice warning across Norfolk
- 10 New 4,000 home garden village idea criticised by countryside charity
Wendy Bryant, Carol Fenn, Linda Blake, Christine Webb started off with a seven, but N Toseland's rink gradually eroded this lead, and the Norfolk four had to fight all the way to return a 19–19 score.
Norfolk now play Warwickshire in round two on December 9 after Warwickshire beat Suffolk by over 30 shots.
The Norfolk NCBA Executive team travelled to Peterborough on Sunday to play their opening game in this years Eversley Trophy. Following a vote at the EBF annual meeting this is the last year the competition will be played in its current format.
From 2014 the games will be played in a round robin format at the EBF National Championships which are normally played at Newark in April.
Sunday's game turned out to be a bad day at the office for the Norfolk players as Northants took an early stranglehold which they never surrendered as they ran out comfortable winners by 61 shots (133-72).
Rink scores: A Sayer, T Hardingham and C Blake 13-31. D Cole, R Greef and B Sadler 23-34.R Bunton, J Hudson and N Blyth 11-42. E Hargreaves, A Manson and D Sherman 25-26.
• The only game in Division Two of the Norfolk CIBA County League saw County Arts B continued their recent successful run with a win at Norfolk BC B by 85 shots to 79 with Colin Perry's rink top scoring 32-17.
Browston B maintained their position at the top of Division Four with a win at home to Norfolk BC Cby 115 shots to 51, Michael Howell's rink winning 38-7.
Gallow B remain second following their win away at Dereham B by 95 shots to 69, Keith Mallett's rink top scoring again 29-13.
Wymondham B gained an impressive win away at County Arts C by 121 shots to 58, winning all four rinks, Graham Jinks top scored 41-6. Diss B beat Pentney B at home by 106 shots to 57, Tony Baker's rink winning 31-9.
Wymondham C moved seven points clear at the top of Division Five after they won away at Great Yarmouth by 72 shots to 56, Ken Armstong's rink winning 23-12. Lynnsport B won their first match of the season against Roundwood B by 80 shots to 62, their rink skipped by Mel Pitcher top scoring 23-12.
In the third round of the Denny Cup, Norfolk BC beat Wymondham Dell 74-69, Acle beat Diss 89-61 but Lynnsport lost to City of Ely 103-57. In the second round of the Denny Plate, County Arts beat Gallow 88-48, while North Walsham lost to Beccles 98-47.