Norfolk teams suffer a miserable weekend
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
Results were as miserable as the weather for three Norfolk teams on Premier Division duty.
Great Yarmouth Town, Fakenham and Thetford all suffered home defeats.
The Bloaters were beaten 1-0 by Felixstowe & Walton United, while Fakenham Town lost 2-1 to Haverhill Rovers and Thetford succumbed 1-0 to Ipswich Wanderers.
Gorleston will have looked on with interest, given they were 3-1 home winners over Kirkley & Pakefield on Friday night – it would have been no surprise that leaders Mildenhall added another three points to their tally after a 2-1 win at Walsham le Willows, although the win was dampened with the news of a serious injury to Hall player Rob Ruddy.
Yarmouth were again missing a number of first team regulars against a side in good form – they went into the match having won eight of their previous nine games.
You may also want to watch:
In front of a crowd of 157 – boosted by the club's 'pay what you want' promotion, it was goalless at the break with the visitors having better possession but unable to breach a home defence well-marshalled by skipper Rob Andersen.
The deadlock was broken when the defence failed to clear and Nick Ingram fired in a low shot that deceived debutant keeper louis Bond and finished up in the net.
- 1 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 2 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 3 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 4 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 5 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 6 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 7 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 8 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 9 Police concerned for welfare of missing 14-year-old girl
- 10 'My heart was racing' - Horse rider's shocking encounter with speeding van
Thetford went down to a goal from Ipswich Wanderers' Danny Thrower in a feisty game that saw 11 bookings and a red, following two yellows, for Wanderers' midfielder James Buckle.
Fakenham Town went ahead after 23 minutes through Joe Jackson, opening his account for the Ghosts, but Haverhill scored from the spot to level it before half-time and two minutes after the break scored the winner.
Gorleston's Friday night win came courtesy of two goals by Joel Watts and one from man of the match Jack Garrod.
If the Premier Division was tough for Norfolk clubs on Saturday, then the First Division results were even worse.
King's Lynn Town's second string were thumped 5-0 away to Coggeshall while Diss Town's promotion hopes took a knock when they were beaten 2-0 at home by Cornard. Downham lost 2-0 at home to Holland FC and Dereham Town Reserves lost 3-1 at Halstead.