Norfolk skipper Chris Brown warms up for new season with spell in Sri Lanka
- Credit: Submitted
Norfolk CCC captain Chris Brown has warmed up for the new season with a 10-day spell in Sri Lanka.
The off-spinner was assisting with the coaching of the Nottinghamshire CCC academy, as part of his work with the Brian Johnston Memorial Trust (BJMT) Elite Spin Bowling Programme. Based in Colombo, the 41-year-old former Lancashire player was invited on the trip by Notts academy director Chris Tolley.
'It was good experience for the lads, particularly with the white ball utilising one-day skills, exposing them to quite tough conditions,' Brown said.
'I've been out there before during the 2005/06 Sri Lankan domestic season and know the area quite well.'
That spell on the sub-continent saw Brown play first-class cricket for Badureliya Sports Club in the Premier Division Tier A tournament and the Norfolk skipper enjoyed his trip down memory lane.
You may also want to watch:
He added: 'We had one evening where there was a little bit of rain. But it was 34 to 36 degrees every day so it was fiercely hot.'
Brown also works as a spin consultant for the England and Wales Cricket Board as part of his work with the BJMT and has worked with the England Performance Programme during the winter.
Norfolk begin their season on Sunday, April 24 when they travel to March to take on Cambridgeshire in the MCCA Unicorns Knockout Trophy one-day competition. Their first home game is the following Sunday, when Lincolnshire travel to Manor Park.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 3 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 4 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 5 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 6 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 7 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
- 8 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 9 Former village pub for sale as home
- 10 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
Their three-day season also starts with a match against Cambs, starting the Unicorns Championship at Wisbech on Sunday, May 29. The first home game starts on July 17, against Buckinghamshire at Manor Park.
Brown is also player-coach and director of cricket at Horsford, who host Vauxhall Mallards in their first East Anglian Premier League fixture of the season on Saturday, April 16.