Norfolk Senior Cup round-up: Norwich City youngsters given scare by Ghosts

Norwich City's under-21s were given a scare by Fakenham Town before recovering to reach the quarter-finals of the Norfolk Senior Cup with a 3-1 win.

Thurlow Nunn Division One side Fakenham led in the 29th minute through Kyle Plumb's strike after an excellent start.

But Cameron McGeehan's header quickly levelled matters, an unfortunate own goal by home goalkeeper Tommy Rix made it 2-1 on 59 minutes and Shaquille McDonald wrapped it up late on.

Under-21 coach Mark Robson said: 'I felt it was a very good workout for the boys. They came up against a really strong team in Fakenham who I thought were very good, I thought they played very well.

'It was a different experience for them and you need to be able to adapt to different conditions, which I thought we did well.'

Fakenham manager Wayne Anderson said: 'Norwich were the FA Youth Cup winners last season and for them to come here and us to give them a really good game for 90 minutes, I can't fault the boys.

'I think the whole football club should be proud of them.'

Most Read

Gorleston eased into the next round with a 4-0 win over Mattishall. The Greens took the lead just before the break through Christy Finch and the striker doubled their lead with a fine header. Joe Bell made it 3-0 with a left-footed strike before Joe Clark completed the rout late on.

Striker Mitch Forbes came off the bench to secure Great Yarmouth's place in the fifth round of the Norfolk Senior Cup after beating St Andrews 2-1.

The Anglian Combination Premier Division visitors took the lead as Stephen Kelly's cleared cross fell to Jody Cook and the midfielder flicked the ball through to Lewis Butcher who made no mistake in finding the bottom corner.

Pete Oldham was able to grab the equalise ten minutes into the second half and with three minutes remaining Forbes secured the winner as the substitute combined with Scott Woodcock and made no mistake in slotting home 18 yards.

Diss squeaked through to the quarter-finals on penalties against North Walsham Town after the match had ended 2-2 after extra time. Tom Dew and Craig Skipp got the goals for the Tangerines.

Despite dominating possession Thurlow Nunn Premier League Norwich United crashed out at the first attempt to Anglian Combination Premier Division Cromer Town.

Paul Cook put the Planters ahead before the break but Chris Sutton equalised and the Crabs prevailed in the shoot-out.

Kirkley & Pakefield's run of recent good form in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division came to an end with a 6-2 defeat at home to Brightlingsea whilst Thetford Town were hammered 5-1 by CRC.