Norfolk’s iSport and Team Air Asia make promising GP2 starts
Carleton Rode's iSport saw Marcus Ericsson take the podium in Saturday's second race of the GP2 Asia Series.
Hingham-based Team Air Asia's Davide Valsecchi followed up his third in Friday's feature race with a fourth place in the sprint run, just behind Ericsson, around Abu Dhabi's Yas Marina circuit.
Valsechhi's team-mate Luiz Razia finished 16th, which was a feat given the Brazilian's crash the previous day when the Norfolk team – making their first GP2 appearance at the weekend – had to rebuild his car.
Team Air Asia chief engineer Humphrey Corbett said: 'I am elated to have two cars finish the (second) race. Both drove very well and once again we have collected points for the team.
'The boys have done an amazing job rebuilding the car and after a very long night of hard work the team pulled together to get ready for the race. If I am completely honest I was not sure we would finish the job in time, but we did and we have proved ourselves, so I'm very happy and immensely proud of the whole team.'
You may also want to watch:
Griston's Super Nova had more to smile about after a difficult weekend, with Johnny Cecotto taking seventh – well ahead of team-mate Fairuz Fauzy in 15th, and the second iSport of Sam Bird that failed to finish.
The F1 feeder category moves on to Bahrain's Sakhir circuit for round two on Thursday with iSport second and Team Air Asia fourth in the team standings.
- 1 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 2 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 3 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 4 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 5 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 6 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 7 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 8 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 9 Police concerned for welfare of missing 14-year-old girl
- 10 'My heart was racing' - Horse rider's shocking encounter with speeding van