Norfolk’s finest chase Ridgeons title favourites
Leiston FC is now firmly in the driving seat in the Ridgeons League Premier Division title race.
The Blues are currently five points clear of nearest challengers Wroxham and eight clear of Dereham Town, which in itself is extremely impressive, but given that the Suffolk side have four games in hand over Wroxham and one over Dereham makes their position look even more menacing.
Mark Morsley's men have only lost one game this season (at home to Wisbech on the opening day) and have conceded a miserly 24 goals. They also know where the net is having scored 70 times this season, the most in the division.
Having only been promoted to The Ridgeon's League Division One ten years ago, their rise to potential Premier Division champions will be an incredible achievement. Leiston really announced their status as genuine title challengers with a thumping 4-0 win at Wroxham in early January.
The only real obstacle in Leiston's way now appears two games against Dereham Town in April, with The Blues travelling to Matty Henman's men on the final day of the season.
You may also want to watch:
Another potential stumbling block for the FA Vase quarter-finalists is a fixture backlog meaning they may have to play two games a week right through till the end of the season, which will really test the strength in depth of the Suffolk based side.
Should Leiston remain on their current form, which seems to have the momentum of a runaway freight train, they will have their name on The Ridgeons League Premier Division Trophy come May - a rise through the Ridgeons Leagues which could in turn signal the beginning of an assault on the Isthmian set-up.
- 1 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 2 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 5 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 6 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 7 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 8 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 9 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 10 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?