Norfolk’s finest chase Ridgeons title favourites
Leiston FC is now firmly in the driving seat in the Ridgeons League Premier Division title race.
The Blues are currently five points clear of nearest challengers Wroxham and eight clear of Dereham Town, which in itself is extremely impressive, but given that the Suffolk side have four games in hand over Wroxham and one over Dereham makes their position look even more menacing.
Mark Morsley's men have only lost one game this season (at home to Wisbech on the opening day) and have conceded a miserly 24 goals. They also know where the net is having scored 70 times this season, the most in the division.
Having only been promoted to The Ridgeon's League Division One ten years ago, their rise to potential Premier Division champions will be an incredible achievement. Leiston really announced their status as genuine title challengers with a thumping 4-0 win at Wroxham in early January.
The only real obstacle in Leiston's way now appears two games against Dereham Town in April, with The Blues travelling to Matty Henman's men on the final day of the season.
You may also want to watch:
Another potential stumbling block for the FA Vase quarter-finalists is a fixture backlog meaning they may have to play two games a week right through till the end of the season, which will really test the strength in depth of the Suffolk based side.
Should Leiston remain on their current form, which seems to have the momentum of a runaway freight train, they will have their name on The Ridgeons League Premier Division Trophy come May - a rise through the Ridgeons Leagues which could in turn signal the beginning of an assault on the Isthmian set-up.
- 1 Boss puts Queen Anne family home up for sale for £1.325m
- 2 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 3 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 4 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 5 Prince Philip memorial erected in town park just a day after his death
- 6 Childhood friends unite to launch barbershop together
- 7 Investigations continuing after drugs seized during police raid
- 8 New Turkish takeaway which cooks over coals shows how kebabs should be done
- 9 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 10 Giant Wheel soon to be 'operational' on popular seafront