Norfolk’s Federation county bowls team open defence of Derbyshire Trophy with win over Northamptonshire.
Norfolk's Federation county team opened the defence of the Derbyshire Trophy with an emphatic win over Northamptonshire.
The Norfolk team knew victory in the fixture – played with three blocks at home and three blocks away – was very important as Northants had already played two games and won them both.
The games were played at Acle IBC and Stamford IBC, with each player in the block of three using two woods over 25 ends.
Norfolk started well, holding a four-shot lead after five ends. But the situation changed dramatically over the next five, at the end of which Northants lead by 55 shots to 49.
The match swung back Norfolk's way over the next five for a 12 shot lead after 15, extended to 16 (108-92) after 20 before a strong finish completed a 140 shots to 119 victory for 16 of the available 22 points.
You may also want to watch:
It was a really good start – but with the next opponents being Lincolnshire on Tuesday, February 28 another tough match is in store.
Rink scores: At Acle – J Colcombe, S Elliott, G Tubby 38-9; M Elliott, J Fruin, J Dyball 16-22; D Seabourne, D Noble, T Dunton 27-19.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 4 Flood warnings along Norfolk coast, with Wells flood gate in place
- 5 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 6 Yarmouth man convicted of historic rape after DNA match
- 7 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 8 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 9 54-home plan delayed due to 'nightmare' traffic concerns
- 10 Norfolk Broads boating holiday company named best in Britain
At Stamford – L Hills, M Riches, I Wones 24-25; P Winter, J Cason, S Winter 13-27; A Sayer, R Bunton, R Parker 22-17.
• Norfolk Ladies had their most convincing win ever against the men when they won on five of the six rinks to take the match 129–101.
Rink score, Ladies first: Brenda Venn, Jan Gray, Hazel Rix, Louise Hannant 28; Jim Malcolm, Lynn Loveless, David Perry, Stan Alcock 11. Ann Leverett, Wendy Ellison, Thelma Durrant, Jenny Morrison 27; Dick Andrews, Bob Bone, George Hunter, Ray Cutting 15. Jackie Andrews, Anne Read, Beryl Payne, Sue Gooch 21; Brian Sayer, Ron Mitchell, Alan Cude, Mal Cushing 14. Shirley Chapman, Monica Seaman, Anita Smith, Helen Farrow 21; John Lacey, Tony Foulke, Derek Talbot, John Hardy 15. Jean Read, Val Hunting, Julie Walmsley, Margaret Binmore 21; Ian Routh, Mick Halifax, David Rogers, Richard Brinded 16. Dee Saunders, Brenda Jones, Connie Lees, Sherley Bix 11; David Gibbs, Derek Boswell, Alan Byford, Jim Webb 30.