Norfolk’s Ben Youngs named in starting XV for England against Italy in Six Nations
- Credit: PA
England have promoted Courtney Lawes, Mako Vunipola and Ben Youngs to their starting XV for Sunday's RBS 6 Nations clash with Italy in Rome.
Lawes replaces Joe Launchbury in the second row, Vunipola has been chosen ahead of Joe Marler at loosehead prop and Youngs is preferred to Danny Care at scrum-half for the trip to the Stadio Olimpico.
All three of the demoted players drop to the replacements, which also include uncapped lock Maro Itoje.
To accommodate the addition of Itoje, who has been in outstanding form for Saracens this season, head coach Eddie Jones has opted for a six-two split on the bench with centre Ollie Devoto dropping out.
'We've made a few changes to the line-up for Italy. I believe this is the strongest 23 to go to Rome and get the performance and result we want.' Jones said.
You may also want to watch:
'Mako, Ben and Courtney have been pushing hard for selection during training, but they also fit the game plan we want to implement against Italy.
'Danny, Joe Marler and Joe Launchbury will all have a significant role to play to finish the game.'
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 3 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 4 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 5 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 6 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 7 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 8 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 9 Former village pub for sale as home
- 10 Fit for a king or queen: 'Castle' for sale at auction for £650,000