Norfolk’s Ashley Waterson triumphs in Anglian Schools championships
Hardy young athletes braved the frozen conditions at the Royal Holbrooke School near Ipswich in the Anglian Schools championships.
In the five counties match the best individual Norfolk performance came from Ashley Waterson in the U15 boys race. He led from the gun over the grassland course and built up a commanding lead by the finish.
Following her success at the Norfolk championships, Mabel Beckett ran outstandingly well to finish second in the senior girls race, and she was well backed up by Nastassja Potgeiter in sixth. Ellie Drake finished fifth in a high standard race for the U15 girls. With Sophie Alden finishing seventh the team award was a clear cut win for Norfolk.
In the U13 boys race Sam Dodden, finishing fourth, turned the tables on Norfolk winner Tom Huckerby who was fifth.
They led the team to another win in the championship.
You may also want to watch:
In the U13 girls race Lauren Hemp was the first Norfolk athlete to complete the course in ninth place. Kyle Ella ran well to finish seventh in the U17 boys race and Emily Hoogkamer also finished seventh in a very high quality U17 girls race.
The senior boys race over 6.5 kilometres was the longest of the day and was won by Keiron Clements of the host county, who is a Great Britain international. Martainn Ramsay again ran well to finish second with Tom Hook backing him up in fifth place.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 Pretty thatched cafe on Broads up for sale for £75,000
- 4 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 5 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 6 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 7 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 8 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 9 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 10 Child groomer caught by seven paedophile hunter groups
In the U17 girls race City of Norwich athletes running for Suffolk produced good performances. Megan Soames was third with Alice Cheverton sixth. Overall, Norfolk finished third with Suffolk winning the team title.
The Norfolk teams for the English Schools championships in Somerset next month will be announced later in the week.