Norfolk rower Steven Parsonage selected in Great Britain squad for Junior World Championships
- Credit: Submitted
Norwich rower Steven Parsonage has been selected for Great Britain's Junior World Championships team in the quad sculls event.
The 17-year-old Notre Dame School sixth-form student will be joining the same crew combination that was successful in winning gold in a Munich international regatta in May, beating several strong European crews.
Norwich Rowing Club member Parsonage, from Poringland, won the first GB selection trial earlier in the season and has remained in the top four all year.
The Junior World Championships are being held in Hambury, Germany, between August 6 and 10.
Parsonage said: ''It's been a tough year but I've enjoyed the competition and have surprised myself that my performances have been so good.
'Winning GB trials and nationals in a single were highlights along with representing GB. The competition between us has been fierce to be at the top within the country and as a result we have loads of respect for each other as teammates. 'I'm excited to be part of such a strong quad and find out what we can do at the world championships, I intend to make the most of this opportunity.'
He impressed the GB selectors and coaches at the latest selection trials with his boat moving ability and team skills following the recent period of training and racing f at Henley Royal Regatta.
- 1 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 2 Norfolk man's relatable videos earn him millions of views and celeb fans
- 3 Met Office to build 80ft 'golf ball' weather radar after winning appeal
- 4 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 5 7 riverside walks to try in Norfolk with a pub pit stop
- 6 Woman who broke both legs in multiple places after fainting thanks NHS
- 7 Noise warning issued due to late night fighter jet training over airbase
- 8 Platform offering stunning views of north Norfolk coast reopens
- 9 Can you spot yourself in the Classic Ibiza crowd at Blickling?
- 10 Police officer sacked for dishonesty gets job back after appeal
Parsonage has been given the responsibility of sitting at bow and controls the boat with both instructions to the crew and steering. GB has never won a medal in junior crew sculling events so the crew are hoping to make history.
Parsonage's coach, Katy Knowles of GB Rowing, said: 'I'm so pleased with the progress Steve has made this year on the England Talent Pathway in Norwich, he's learnt a huge amount from racing experience and improves all the time.
'He has worked very hard to reach excellence in his rowing this year and it shows in his current form. The crew he is selected in work so hard in training but also are bursting with character and have fun together which is important going into a pressured environment, I've no doubt they will get the best out of each other.'