Norfolk racer Hughes enjoys dream British Formula 2 Sidecar Championship Cup win at Snetterton
Great Hockham racer Ben Hughes is still on cloud nine after his shock victory in the British Formula 2 Sidecar Championship Cup race at Snetterton.
The 23-year-old had only been competing as a sidecar passenger for six months before being handed the opportunity to race with experienced Evesham driver Steve Hicks.
And having only competed in five 350cc races prior to stepping up to the 600cc class, Hughes grabbed the chance with both hands to help the new pair record a 'dream' win.
The Hockham speedster said: 'It was the best day and weekend of my life. It was just one of those perfect races. I couldn't have dreamed a more dramatic first win.
'Steve threw down the gauntlet from the first corner. I knew something special was happening when I looked back at the end of the first lap and we were leaving the back behind us for dust.
You may also want to watch:
'Instead of letting the excitement get the better of me I put every ounce of concentration I had into each corner, praying I wouldn't make a mistake.
'Steve's such a smooth driver though and made my job so much easier. The last thing you want is being thrown about like a rag doll for 14 laps!'
- 1 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 2 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 3 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 4 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 5 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
- 6 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 7 Former village pub for sale as home
- 8 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 9 Before and after: How has Norwich changed over the years?
- 10 Fit for a king or queen: 'Castle' for sale at auction for £650,000
To make their victory even sweeter, Hicks and the village racer from near Thetford, thought they had finished second. But they hadn't and now the successful duo are planning to race F2 again at Brands Hatch at the end of this month.
Hughes said: 'My jaw hit the floor when they said 'and first place goes to Steve Hicks and Ben Hughes' as we thought we'd finished second.
'Now, I can't wait to race again. There's a certain poetry to having the ability to dance on a tea tray at 160mph.'