Norfolk pair hoping to guide England to World Under-20 final glory
- Credit: PA
Two of Norfolk's brightest prospects will look to power England to world glory this evening.
Will Evans and Tom West have helped steer the Red Rose to the final of the World Under-20 Championship – and both will be at the AJ Bell Stadium in Salford when the men in white lock horns against Ireland at 7pm – Evans starting with West on the bench.
Evans has started all but one of his side's four matches, scoring a debut try during a resounding 44-0 victory over Scotland in the group stages.
West, likewise, has made three appearances, but one came as a replacement in the 39-17 semi-final victory against South Africa.
'Hopefully I can play my part in helping the England team lift the trophy,' said West.
You may also want to watch:
The Red Rose lost last year's final to New Zealand but won the previous two tournaments. Their fourth final in the row was secured by beating Italy (48-10), Scotland, Australia (17-13) and South Africa. Ireland thumped Argentina 37-7 in their last-four match to reach their maiden final.
Evans says that record is more a source of pride than pressure. 'We came into the tournament knowing we have a strong squad, with quite a few players who had already played Aviva Premiership rugby, so we want to emulate those other teams,' he said.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 4 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 5 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 6 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 7 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 8 City confirm midfielder exit
- 9 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 10 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
Leicester Tigers flanker Evans used to play for Wymondham while West, a loosehead prop, learned the ropes at Diss before eventually joining the Wasps Academy.