West Norfolk racer Oliver heading to US single-seater racing
- Credit: Kartpix.net
Oliver Clarke has chosen to progress his motorsport career in the United States having announced he will be contesting the Formula 4 United States Championship Powered by Honda with the Florida-based BENIK team.
'I am delighted to be moving from karting to F4 in the United States and joining BENIK,' explained the 15-year-old Downham Market racer. 'I am very happy to be working with such an experienced group of guys and can't wait to get back out in the car and do some more testing.'
Clarke has clocked up more than 50 visits to the podium in a highly successful karting career and after a mixture of Junior and Senior racing last year has decided to make the move into junior single-seater racing in the USA.
'Fast, marketable and already a champion, Oliver will be an instant threat for race wins, podium results and the championship,' said Nick Mitchell, manager for Team BENIK. 'Oliver has had major success in the karting ranks in Europe and we look to help him continue those results in North American open wheel competition.'
Clarke has already sampled his mount for the coming season, having tested for the BENIK team in mid-December at the Homestead Speedway in Miami, which has given him a great deal of confidence in the team and the transition to open wheel competition.
You may also want to watch:
'Hopefully a strong first season to come,' said Clarke. 'I am really looking forward to the final race of the USA season as our final round takes place in COTA, Austin, Texas as a support race to the F1 round there.'
The Norfolk youngest, who still attends school at the Iceni Academy in Methwold, has made an impression on Daniel Mitchell, race engineer for Team BENIK.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Man seriously injured after crash
- 3 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 4 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 5 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 6 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 7 Concern elderly people 'being ignored' as town has no vaccination centre
- 8 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 9 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 10 Minke whale washes up on beach
'I look forward to having the opportunity to work with Oliver. He has a great resume and his skills behind the wheel are second to none. He will be a great fit to our F4 program and an awesome additional to Team BENIK as a whole.'
Clarke's first race in the series will take place at Virginia International Raceway in late April before moving on to the iconic Road Atlanta Circuit, Mid-Ohio.