West Norfolk racer Oliver heading to US single-seater racing
- Credit: Kartpix.net
Oliver Clarke has chosen to progress his motorsport career in the United States having announced he will be contesting the Formula 4 United States Championship Powered by Honda with the Florida-based BENIK team.
'I am delighted to be moving from karting to F4 in the United States and joining BENIK,' explained the 15-year-old Downham Market racer. 'I am very happy to be working with such an experienced group of guys and can't wait to get back out in the car and do some more testing.'
Clarke has clocked up more than 50 visits to the podium in a highly successful karting career and after a mixture of Junior and Senior racing last year has decided to make the move into junior single-seater racing in the USA.
'Fast, marketable and already a champion, Oliver will be an instant threat for race wins, podium results and the championship,' said Nick Mitchell, manager for Team BENIK. 'Oliver has had major success in the karting ranks in Europe and we look to help him continue those results in North American open wheel competition.'
Clarke has already sampled his mount for the coming season, having tested for the BENIK team in mid-December at the Homestead Speedway in Miami, which has given him a great deal of confidence in the team and the transition to open wheel competition.
You may also want to watch:
'Hopefully a strong first season to come,' said Clarke. 'I am really looking forward to the final race of the USA season as our final round takes place in COTA, Austin, Texas as a support race to the F1 round there.'
The Norfolk youngest, who still attends school at the Iceni Academy in Methwold, has made an impression on Daniel Mitchell, race engineer for Team BENIK.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 3 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 4 Teacher who supported hundreds of children through education dies aged 67
- 5 RAF Marham Royal Navy sailor jailed for raping colleague while she slept
- 6 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon
- 7 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 8 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
- 9 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 10 'People are dying': Up to 500 patients waited for ambulance in one night
'I look forward to having the opportunity to work with Oliver. He has a great resume and his skills behind the wheel are second to none. He will be a great fit to our F4 program and an awesome additional to Team BENIK as a whole.'
Clarke's first race in the series will take place at Virginia International Raceway in late April before moving on to the iconic Road Atlanta Circuit, Mid-Ohio.