Norfolk Ladies make it two wins out of two at County Week
- Credit: Ian Burt
Norfolk Ladies' excellent start to their County Week programme at Hunstanton Golf Club continued yesterday when they won another tight game against one of the fancied teams.
Sammy Martin's side followed up their 5-4 win over Hertfordshire on Monday by seeing off Essex 5½-3½ to leave themselves perfectly placed after two days of intense competition.
'I am absolutely delighed with the result, the players have done their county proud again,' said the captain.
'For the second day running they were up against a really strong side and once again they have risen to the challenge.
'I couldn't have really wished for a better start, and it leaves us in a good position, but we have got another diffcult match next against Suffolk and we aren't thinking any further ahead than that.'
You may also want to watch:
The defending champions' success against one of the tradtional powerhouses of English golf, who included rising star Lily May Humphreys in their ranks, was built on an excellent display in the morning foursomes.
Jo Herd and Jasmine Campbell (1 up) and Jo Ashmore and Ellie Brown (4&3) both won their matches, with senior international Ashmore making her first appearance of the week count. Tracey and Amelia Williamson halved the opening game, meaning Norfolk went into lunch 2½-½ to the good.
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 3 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 4 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 5 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 6 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 7 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
- 8 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 9 Carer caught on CCTV letting dog scratch vulnerable pensioner
- 10 PM warns there will be no 'open sesame' lockdown exit
Essex reduced the arrears when Humphreys beat Shelly Pleasance, also playing her first match of the week, 6&5 in the opening singles match, but wins for Amelia Williamson (3&1) and Amy Taylor (8&7) restored the hosts' healthy advantage.
Tiffany Mills then marked her debut for the week in impressive style, completing a 2up victory on the 18th green in a match that could have gone either way.
The captain marked that victory down as perhaps the most important and exciting of the day, and Norfolk could afford to lose their final two singles matches as Brown was beaten 2 down and Herd 4&3.
The remaining schedule is: today - Suffolk (8.54am and 1.28pm), Thursday - Bedfordshire (8.30am and 12.40pm) and Friday - Cambs and Hunts (9.18am and 2.16pm).
Spectators will be more than welcome.