Norfolk firms urged to play football in run up to the Olympics
Norfolk businesses will be battling it out on the football pitch next week as part of an initiative to encourage people to get fit in Olympic year.
The Olympic-inspired project Pledge 2012, run by Active Norfolk in association with Norfolk County Council and NHS Norfolk and supported by the Eastern Daily Press and BBC Radio Norfolk, calls on people across the county to commit to get fit in the run up to London 2012.
So far, more than 160 people have signed up to the scheme.
As part of the project, bosses at Norfolk Football Association have pledged to engage 200 businesses this year through its Fit4Work Cup events.
The first Fit4Work five-a-side cup competition will take place on Wednesday, February 29, at the newly-refurbished Football Development Centre (FDC) in Norwich.
You may also want to watch:
The cost is �10 per team and the format will consist of group stages with the top teams progressing to the knockout stages.
Shaun Howes, general manager at the FDC, in Bowthorpe, said: 'We're delighted to be working with Active Norfolk on this event. The Fit4Work Cup will first and foremost be a fun evening, giving businesses the chance to involve their staff in a superb team building exercise, as well as offering workers the chance to enjoy a run-around with work colleagues.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 4 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 5 School shuts 20 minutes before opening time after staff Covid case
- 6 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 7 Groundworks start at site of new McDonald’s restaurant
- 8 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 9 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
- 10 Driver's lucky escape as lorry ends up in ditch
'We will offer businesses an outlet after this event, so if they get a taste for the game and want to continue to play regularly against other businesses, we will provide that opportunity for them.'
To make your pledge, go to www.pledge2012.com. To book a team onto the Fit4Work Cup, call 01603 372333.