Victory to Stancombe, but headwind puts paid to any record attempts
- Credit: Archant
Ben Stancombe (VeloVelocity) won the CC Breckland evening 25 in 50:41 – but the strong headwind on the longer outward leg from Larling meant record times were hard to come by.
However, Jan Smith took the Great Yarmouth CC club 25 record with 1:02:07 – perhaps as a replacement for the '10' record which her club-mate Jenny Anderson had reclaimed five days earlier in the Iceni Velo 10.
Racing in sun-baked countryside at Hintlesham, just outside Ipswich, Norwich rider Jimmy Piper won the Grand Vets (age 50-59) mountain bike race, while there were second places for James Pickering in the 18-39s and a third for Beccles rider Seb Herrod in the Elite/Expert race.
A threesome of Wayne Bennett, Andrew Cockburn and Herrod were soon clear at the front of the Elite/Expert field. Herrod was eventually tailed off and spent a tough two laps dangling barely 100 metres behind. Cockburn finally took the win by 21 seconds from Bennett while Herrod had over a minute on fourth-placed Glenn Whittington and Lee Woodcock (HKR).
Women's winners included Elvita Branch, Sarah Hewitt and Caitlyn Sampson.
Following her outstanding win in the Alexandra Tour of the Reservoir – a National Women's Road Series counting event – Horsford rider Sophie Wright contested the National Road Championship in County Durham.
Attacking on the final big climb, Wright was up to third position, but in the end crossed the line 22nd.
- 1 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 2 Norfolk Coast Path to close for eight weeks
- 3 Delays expected with A47 to close in both directions for 15 miles
- 4 Norfolk man arranged sexual exploitation of teen victim
- 5 Family 'increasingly concerned' about missing Beccles woman
- 6 Man accused of playing naked wrestling game with schoolgirl likely to be jailed
- 7 Woman to stand trial accused of causing death by careless driving
- 8 Diners showered with glass after man smashes pub window
- 9 Missing Beccles woman Jaime Larter, 42, found
- 10 Norse chief executive quits for personal reasons
In 30-degree temperatures near Saffron Walden, North Norfolk pair Mike Padfield (King's Lynn CC) and Connor Rumbles (Strada Sport) made an unsuccessful bid to bridge to a leading break in the Lea Valley CC Road Race.
Eventually the promoting club's David Veitch time-trialled off the front to win alone.
In the long uphill sprint Adam Hole (VC Norwich) took fourth, Padfield was fifth while Lewis Pendle (VCN), who had a repeat win in the Ipswich CRS mid-week races, was 10th.
In the Peterborough CC Road Race, Andrew Taylor (VCN) was King of the Hills and third overall.
The Gas Hill Gasp opens the Norwich Lord Mayor's Weekend this Friday – the first rider is off at 7pm.