Norfolk Cricket Alliance awards
- Credit: Archant
From Downham Market in the west to Southwold in the east, the region's top-performing teams were honoured at the Dipple & Conway Opticians Norfolk Cricket Alliance 2016 presentation night.
There were also awards for players who had excelled with bat, ball or in the field during a glorious summer of cricket.
The season brought a first-ever Alliance title for Brooke, two seasons after being promoted back to the top flight. They were led to their success by 11-year club stalwart, first-team captain and star wicket-taker John Habershon.
Swardeston and Great Witchingham shared the club of the year award.
Individual honours went to Bircham's Will Pillinger as top batsman with 1,133 runs, Dereham first team captain Duncan Hewitt for being the bowler who claimed the highest number of wickets – 45 – and Matt Collinge (Brooke), leading wicket-keeper with 27 dismissals.
You may also want to watch:
Stow's Will Denny, Hewitt, Will Dewing from Bradenham and Cromer's Richard Charlwood won Player of the Month Awards.
During a gala celebration evening at the Wensum Valley Hotel and Country Club, compered by Anglia TV's Jonathan Wills – who plays for this year's champions Brooke – awards were presented by Alliance chairman Peter Thomas with Damian Conway and Justine Conway from Dipple & Conway.
- 1 MP moves to reassure public as film crew hires out village homes
- 2 Police give out £200 penalty notices to day-trippers for second weekend running
- 3 100 cannabis plants found at three neighbouring properties in village
- 4 Man in 70s punched and kicked repeatedly after being pulled from car
- 5 'They think they can get away with it' - crowds flock to seaside village
- 6 Norfolk Covid-19 cases at lowest level since October, figures show
- 7 Buy a former 1950s police station for sale for £330,000
- 8 Destructive stink bugs could be heading for Norfolk
- 9 Police condemn 'blatant' lockdown breaches as 160 fined
- 10 Flagship Debenhams building goes up for sale or rent
'It's been another excellent season full of superb cricket,' said Thomas. 'After a long tradition of win-lose-draw results format, the management committee is grateful to member clubs for the way they have worked to adapt to the win-lose set-up introduced this season.'
Damian Conway said he was delighted to see youth players enjoying the presentation evening alongside the senior players – players who set a great example and would serve as their role models for the future.
'I am confident cricket has a great future in the county for many years to come,' he said.
ROLL OF HONOUR
Premier Division – Brooke
Division One – Horsford A
Division Two – Bradfield
Division Three – Downham Tn A
Division Four – Martham
Division Five – Bircham
Division Six – Hockwold
U9 – Brooke; U11 – Horsford
U13 – Southwold
U15 – Garboldisham
Batting – Will Pillinger (Bircham) 1,133 runs
Bowling – Duncan Hewitt (Dereham) 45 wickets
Wicketkeeping – Matt Collinge (Brooke) 27 dismissals (22 ct, 5 st)
Joint Clubs of the Year – Great Witchingham & Swardeston
Dipple & Conway Players of the Month – May: Will Denny, Stow; June: Duncan Hewitt, Dereham; July: Will Dewing, Bradenham; August: Richard Charlwood, Cromer