Norfolk call up Marillier for their opening Twenty20 fixtures
- Credit: copyright: Archant 2014
There will be a new face on show when Norfolk's season finally gets up and running at the weekend with their first matches in a revamped Minor Counties Twenty20 competition.
Zimbabwe-born Stephan Marillier, 33, has been called up into a 12-man squad for two fixtures against Suffolk at Woolpit on Sunday, with the opening game getting under way at 11am.
A hard-hitting batsman who hails from Harare and plays East Anglian Premier League cricket for Horsford, Marillier finished his four-year qualification period in March, making him available for selection.
The remainder of the squad is made up of familiar faces, with Rob Taylor the professional and Ashley Watson once again leading the one-day team.
Watson and his side will be playing plenty of Twenty20 cricket in the early part of the season, with less of an emphasis now on the 50 over per side game.
You may also want to watch:
The group stages of that particular competition have been replaced by a straight knock-out contest, with the first round tie against Bedfordshire coming up at Manor Park on May 20.
The gaps in the calendar have been filled by the matches in the shortest form of the game, with further double headers coming up against Cambridgeshire (Manor Park, May 27), Bedfordshire (Dunstable, June 3) and Hertfordshire (Manor Park, June 17).
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 4 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 5 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 6 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 7 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 8 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 9 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 10 City confirm midfielder exit
The aim of all the Eastern Counties sides will be to book a place in finals day alongside other regional winners at the picturesque Wormsley ground in Buckinghamshire on August 26.
As far as the traditional Minor Counties Knock-out competition is concerned, June 10 and July 1 are the dates for further rounds of the competition, with the final being held on August 28.
Norfolk's Championship campaign begins on June 24 with a three-day game against Lincolnshire at Sleaford. The other fixtures are: July 22-24 - Suffolk (Copdock), August 5-7 - Staffordshire (Manor Park), August 12-14 - Hertfordshire (Manor Park), August 19-21 - Cambridgeshire (Manor Park), September 2-4 - Bedfordshire (Wardown Park, Luton).
Norfolk's squad for Sunday is: S S Arthurton, S J Marillier, J D Reynolds, R M L Taylor, L R K Denmark, M J Plater, A M Watson (captain), B J France, B D Coote, B W Stolworthy, R J Finlay, S J Groves (wicket-keeper).