Norfolk consumers warned of Olympic-related scams
Keen sportspeople and armchair enthusiasts are being urged to watch out for fraudsters as Norfolk looks ahead to the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics Games.
The drive by Norfolk Trading Standards is part of the annual National Consumer Week, starting on Monday, and aims to shine a spotlight on fakes and scams that use sport to lure people into spending money.
People are being encouraged to watch out for counterfeit sports shirts, poor quality and dangerous sports equipment and fake tickets for big sporting events.
Harry Humphrey, Norfolk County Council's cabinet member for community protection, said: 'The 2012 Olympics in London is already gathering global interest, and this will only continue as the event draws closer.
'Sadly, the number of scams based around London 2012 is also increasing, but a few simple checks will go a long way to helping residents with an interest in the Games to avoid falling foul of related scams.
You may also want to watch:
'Next year will be a joyous one for this country and our guidance can ensure that the Olympics sticks in the minds of residents for the right reasons.'
London 2012 has licensed the production of official merchandised goods to a number of approved manufacturers. All licensed products have a secure label attached in the form of an individually numbered hologram. Anyone who is offered Olympic-branded items that is not security marked should report it to Consumer Direct on 08454 04 05 06. Anyone applying for London 2012 tickets, can check the site is an authorised ticket reseller by going to www.london2012.com/ticket-website-checker.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 5 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 6 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 7 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 8 Woman in 60s suffers serious injuries after car crashes into ditch
- 9 Photo gallery: Snow turns region into winter wonderland
- 10 Several burst mains in town leave homes without water