Norfolk central to new BRDC Formula 4 Championship motor racing series
For almost four decades competing in a British single-seater series was essential on any aspiring Grand Prix driver's CV, but the decline in that once proud tradition has hopefully come to an end with the announcement of the BRDC Formula 4 Championship.
Central to the series will be cars built in Norfolk by legendary race car constructor Ralph Firman, through his RFR Racing concern, just across the road from Snetterton racing circuit.
This new initiative for 2013 has the backing of the British Racing Drivers Club, owners and operators of Silverstone Circuit, and is the brainchild of Jonathan Palmer, who is chief executive of MotorSport Vision, who are owners of Snetterton circuit.
'At MSV we recognised that a new state-of-the-art single seater, with wings and slicks, the greatest control on equality and lots of track time, was vital to appeal to young aspiring F1 drivers' said Palmer.
'To make it attainable our F4 car had to be much more affordable than other new single-seaters and also set new standards for low operating costs' he continued.
You may also want to watch:
Firman, the founder of race car constructor Van Diemen, has vast experience of building highly competitive, cost effective race cars to a tight timescale and as importantly the ability to service its customers with spare parts.
The new MSV F4-013 cars have been eagerly snapped up, showing just how significant the new formulae is and emphasising its importance to the British motor sport industry.
- 1 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 2 Green light for new Tesco store in town centre
- 3 'Incredible' donation pays for expansion of Norfolk's largest ancient wood
- 4 What counts as a substantial meal under Norfolk's tier 2 pub rules?
- 5 Man arrested after woman suffers broken collar bone in row over mask
- 6 'It's nonsense': Shoppers react to Norfolk's Tier 2 announcement
- 7 Commuter trains halted as Norwich to London line blocked
- 8 New appeal as pregnant woman goes missing again
- 9 Several weeks into lockdown, Norfolk sees sharp decline in coronavirus infection rates
- 10 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Coventry City - Krul out three weeks; Pukki out this weekend
'The fact that our full grid of 24 cars has been sold in just one month is an outstanding success story in a challenging economic climate.
'It is also clear proof that the concept of our BRDC Formula 4 Championship is exactly what competitors have wanted for many years' explained Palmer.