Norfolk central to new BRDC Formula 4 Championship motor racing series
For almost four decades competing in a British single-seater series was essential on any aspiring Grand Prix driver's CV, but the decline in that once proud tradition has hopefully come to an end with the announcement of the BRDC Formula 4 Championship.
Central to the series will be cars built in Norfolk by legendary race car constructor Ralph Firman, through his RFR Racing concern, just across the road from Snetterton racing circuit.
This new initiative for 2013 has the backing of the British Racing Drivers Club, owners and operators of Silverstone Circuit, and is the brainchild of Jonathan Palmer, who is chief executive of MotorSport Vision, who are owners of Snetterton circuit.
'At MSV we recognised that a new state-of-the-art single seater, with wings and slicks, the greatest control on equality and lots of track time, was vital to appeal to young aspiring F1 drivers' said Palmer.
'To make it attainable our F4 car had to be much more affordable than other new single-seaters and also set new standards for low operating costs' he continued.
You may also want to watch:
Firman, the founder of race car constructor Van Diemen, has vast experience of building highly competitive, cost effective race cars to a tight timescale and as importantly the ability to service its customers with spare parts.
The new MSV F4-013 cars have been eagerly snapped up, showing just how significant the new formulae is and emphasising its importance to the British motor sport industry.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 3 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 4 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 5 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 6 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 7 Ford and Jaguar crash in second incident near village in same night
- 8 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 9 Road closed after crash involving car and two tractors
- 10 Power cut hits Norwich city centre
'The fact that our full grid of 24 cars has been sold in just one month is an outstanding success story in a challenging economic climate.
'It is also clear proof that the concept of our BRDC Formula 4 Championship is exactly what competitors have wanted for many years' explained Palmer.