Norfolk bowlers open Middleton Cup defence
Norfolk begin their defence of the Middleton Cup on Saturday when they take on Huntingdonshire at Parkway BC in Peterborough.
Matches against Hunts are always competitive and with this clash followed by another away trip, to Northamptonshire before a home match against Bedfordshire, it looks like victory will be vital if Norfolk are to progress to the quarter-finals.
n Norfolk's women beat Hertfordshire 43-35 in the prelim of the Walker Cup.
Louise Knights, Suzanne King, Jan Dearman and Brenda Whitehead were nine shots down at nine ends against D Prat, thanks to dropping a five on the seventh end, but fours on the 10th and 12th ends saw them come back to only two behind and they kept this shot difference to return a 20-22 card.
Lillian Barber, Janet Morton, Jayne Roylance and Christine Webb never looked like losing against Shirley Page and were 16-2 up at 11 ends. They took three of the next nine ends, and with the score 23-13, Page did not play the last end.
You may also want to watch:
Norfolk now play Northants in round one on June 23.
n Norfolk Federation ladies start their 2013 campaign in the Donald Steward Trophy and Silver Jubilee Vase with away games against Northants to be played at Whittlesey and Yaxley tomorrow.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 3 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 4 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 6 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 7 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 8 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 9 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 10 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town
Donald Steward team playing at Whittlesey (captain Rita Basted): Lilian Barber, Sue Lee, Sheila Hardingham; Maureen Emment, Barbara Meeks, Geraldine Reeve; Pauline Duffield, Carol Neave, Linda Blake; Judith Phillips, Linda Bennett, Elaine Cole; Ann Leverett, Beverley Masters, Marion Himpleman; Sally Bates, Jo Watson, Marie Barker.
Silver Vase team playing at Yaxley (captain Margaret Rowsell): Jessica Ward, Jane Watson, Amy Barker; Jenni Eldred, Dianne Barnes, Hazel Rix; Marie Morton, Carol Swan, Janet Church; Val Moore, Janice Lawrence, Marian Grimes; Pam Rolph, Carol Jay, Jenny Morrison; Louise Knights, Jenny Kirby, Lilian Smith.
Reserves: Carol Playford, Kath Shepherd.