Norfolk-born high jumper Chris Baker misses out on place in Great Britain team for 2017 World Athletics Championships in London
- Credit: PA
Dereham high jump star Chris Baker has spoken of his disappointment at missing out on a place in the Great Britain team for the upcoming World Athletics Championships in London.
The 26-year-old former Dereham Northgate High School pupil, who now lives in Manchester and competes for Sale Harriers, had jumped two metres and 28 centimetres this year to just miss the qualification mark of 2.30m.
He had hoped he would still get to compete at the Olympic Stadium but the IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federations) have not budged and named a 28-man competition list.
Baker took to Twitter to say: 'The IAAF's decision is very disappointing and means there will only be 28 participants in the men's high jump, showing once again the field events must give way for others. Two British athletes also miss out on the opportunity of a home championships. I've been told that, officially, no more invites will be sent out so my dream is dead.'
Baker won bronze at the European Championships with a jump of 2.29m last year, the height he also cleared when finishing eighth at the World Indoor Championships but finished 16th at the Rio Olympics later in the year after failing to go higher than 2.26m.
You may also want to watch:
He also jumped his personal best earlier in 2016, clearing 2.36m at the Hustopece Indoor Championships in the Czech Republic – just 2cm short of Steve Smith's British indoor record.
- 1 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 4 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 5 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 6 Christmas craft, food and gift fair returning to Norfolk estate
- 7 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 8 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 9 Banham Zoo welcomes birth of two tiger cubs
- 10 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st