Norfolk BC hold off Wootton Park for Triples crown
The remaining County Championship finals have been held at Norfolk BC with George Tubby and Andy Siely of Acle St Edmunds BC and Wayne Willgress of Norfolk BC all achieving double success.
In the Triples the Norfolk BC trio of Charles West, Chris Willgress and Wayne Willgress took the Triples crown by beating Justin Hudson, Ian Whiley and Mervyn Chapman of Wootton Park by 19-14. A count of six shots on the third end proved significant with Wootton always chasing the game from this point. Norfolk BC were able to maintain the lead they built up to take the title, a title they last won in 2009. They were also victorious in 2007 when they went on to take the National title.
After the disappointment in losing both the Singles and Pairs finals last week Wayne Willgress added the inaugural Two Wood Singles title to the Triples when he played Peter Wilkinson of County Arts. In a high quality encounter Willgress took an early lead only for Wilkinson to hit back to level the scores at 13 a piece at 18 ends. As he had done in earlier rounds Willgress was dominant over the closing ends going on to win 17-13.
In the U25 singles, 16 year old Josh Baxter of Caister was up against Junior England International Sam King of Hunstanton EBA. King's greater experience at this level proved to be decisive and although Baxter battled bravely it was King who took the title 21-8.
George Tubby and Andy Siely of Acle who took the Singles and Pairs titles respectively last week won the Fours along with team mates Daniel Seabourne and Simon Elliott. In the final they met Justin Hudson, Simon Peach, Mervyn Chapman and Ian Whiley of Wootton Park. After Wootton Park's disappointment in losing the Triples earlier in the day, Acle proved too strong and when leading 22-7 after 16 ends the match was conceded.
Triples: Charles West, Chris Willgress, Wayne Willgress (Norfolk BC) 19 Justin Hudson, Ian Whiley, Mervyn Chapman (Wootton Park) 14
- 1 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 2 Revealed: Why wasps chase you and how to get rid of them this summer
- 3 Drought declared in Norfolk
- 4 Nine fire crews battling large field blaze near Norwich
- 5 Smoke billows over Norwich as fire breaks out at Mousehold Heath
- 6 Corrections made to prices at Yarmouth's new leisure centre
- 7 WATCH: Nudist camp saved from field fire by farmers
- 8 20 fire engines and 90 firefighters contain large forest blaze
- 9 Where will be the hottest place in Norfolk this weekend?
- 10 Firefighters tackling large fire near country park
Fours: Daniel Seabourne, Simon Elliott, George Tubby, Andy Siely (Acle St Edmunds) 22 Justin Hudson, Simon Peach, Mervyn Chapman, Ian Whiley (Wootton Park) 7
Two Wood Singles: Wayne Willgress (Norfolk BC) 17 Peter Wilkinson (County Arts) 13
U25 Singles: Sam King (Hunstanton EBA) 21 Josh Baxter (Caister) 8