Norfolk athletes’ achievements recognised at awards
- Credit: Archant
The great and the good were recognised at the Norfolk Athletics awards held at the Sportspark at the UEA.
International athlete Sophie McKinna was the outstanding field athlete of the year after narrowly failing to qualify for the Olympic Games.
Iona Lake, who was the fourth ranked steeplechaser in the country, won the women's track award. Callum Brown, who threw the hammer so well and consistently last season, took the senior men's award.
Daniel Bainbridge, who represented Great Britain in the javelin, was awarded the under 20 field trophy and he shared this with Oliver Massingham, who was fourth ranked discus thrower. Wesley Matsuka Williams topped the UK rankings in the under 17 triple jump and competed for England in the Schools international match.
A special award was made to the City of Norwich girls under 15 team who took first place in the National Cross Country Championships at Nottingham.
The coach of the year award was jointly awarded to Yvonne Newton and Paul Broughton. A special presentation was made to Keith Yellop for his coaching and huge support for the very successful Sportshall athletics. Mike De Silva received an award for his continued service to officialdom in the county.
The Norfolk track and field championships will be held at Sportspark at the UEA on May 13/14.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Weather warning in place as snow falls in parts of Norfolk and Waveney
- 3 Luxury manor for sale with a 'Hobbit house' in the grounds
- 4 Boss 'gutted' after scenes cut from Ed Balls' Who Do You Think You Are?
- 5 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 6 'Oh God almighty, this woman!' - Zoom council meeting descends into chaos
- 7 OPINION: Delight when 'all you can eat' restaurants get their comeuppance
- 8 Car flips over in crash near south Norfolk village
- 9 Emma Thompson backs Norwich charity which helped her daughter
- 10 Unfinished barn conversion to go up for sale at auction