Non-league friendly round-up: Speight makes an instant impact as King’s Lynn Town see off Rugby
- Credit: Ian Burt
New King's Lynn Town striker Jake Speight gave the Linnets a hard-fought 1-0 win at Rugby Town in their penultimate pre-season friendly.
Speight came on as a substitute having only signed for the Linnets on Friday and was on hand to head home Jackson Ramm's cross late on. The victory kept Lynn's pre-season unbeaten run going with Gary Setchell's side travelling to Grantham tomorrow evening.
Kirkley & Pakefield completed their pre-season campaign with an emphatic 11-1 win over an understrength Dereham Town side at Walmer Road. Ross King grabbed a hat-trick for the Royals whilst Kyle Baker, Joe Clark and Ross Gilfedder all bagged braces. Cameron Brooks was also on the scoresheet.
Dereham sent another XI to face Thurlow Nunn Premier Division champions Norwich United and were also on the receiving end of a heavy defeat. Adam Hipperson opened the scoring for the Planters before Matt Blake showed he has lost none of his goalscoring prowess with a double and Damian Hilton's men look well placed to mount another title challenge.
Great Yarmouth pulled off a surprise victory over Wroxham as summer signing Declan McAvoy grabbed his first goal for the Bloaters. Tom Columbine got a second before the break and, although the Yachtsmen improved in the second period, Yarmouth ran out worthy winners.
You may also want to watch:
Gorleston boss Ricci Butler was on the scoresheet as the Greens beat Bungay 2-0 at Maltings Meadow. Keegan Middleton was also on the scoresheet and, under Butler, Gorleston will be looking forward to a better Thurlow Nunn Premier Division campaign next season.
Chris Holmes struck a late equaliser as Diss drew 1-1 against Saffrom Walden at Brewers Green Lane.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 3 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 4 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 5 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 6 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 7 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 8 Norfolk Day 2021: Your must-have guide to all events
- 9 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
- 10 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
The Essex side had gone in front in the 75th minute through Shaun Avis' goal but the Tangerines deservedly levelled in the 89th minute.