Newton is new champion at Links Country Park Golf Club
- Credit: Archant
There is a new name on Links Country Park's Scratch Trophy – for the first time in seven years.
Irving Newton came out on top in the club's annual championship after an excellent opening round of gross 69, which equalled his score in the recent Midsummer Trophy.
After a second round of 80 his gross score for the 36-hole event was 150. The new champion's recent run of good form has seen his handicap cut from 12 to 8 in just three weeks.
The Handicap Trophy was keenly contested, with Eddie Baker winning from Ivor Collett on countback with a better back 18 holes, the nett scores being 132. Just behind in third place was Gareth Hall on 134.
Meanwhile Monica Dorrington held her Ladies Captain's Day in beautiful conditions at Eaton Golf Club. The event was well supported, with 90 players turning out in an assortment of red, white and blue outfits.
You may also want to watch:
The overall winners of both the best turned out and the golf competition were Sarah Absalom, Carol Riseborough, Margaret Defoe and Rita Bridgeman.
- 1 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 2 Man and woman found dead in home
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 5 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 6 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 7 Car catches fire after early morning crash
- 8 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 9 Water starts gushing out of sinkhole on Norwich city centre road
- 10 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland