Newport Pagnell 2, King’s Lynn 4
King's Lynn inflicted a first UCL Premier League home defeat of the season on Pagnell to keep alive their own title hopes.
Darren Lynch headed the hosts in front on two minutes before Town surged into a 3-1 half time lead. Luke Thurlbourne smashed Lynn level before Jack Defty's thumping header and Steve Spriggs put Town in control.
Vinny Shrieves pounced within seconds of the restart but FA Vase hero Robbie Harris settled any nerves to keep the pressure on title rivals St Neots.
Lynn remain six points adrift with a game in hand after the Saints hammered Sleaford 4-0 away but Lynn's win at the Pavillion this afternoon has effectively ended Pagnell's own title aspirations.
Lynch's diving header bounced up and past Alex Street from Newport's first attack although Town's management were left fuming at the officials.
The referee clearly whistled after Newport had eventually restarted play following a delayed throw in on the far side, but signalled the goal should stand despite Town's vocal touchline protests.
Harris' acrobatic bicycle kick rolled through to James Broadbent from Defty's towering knockdown.
- 1 The school where boys can wear skirts - but not shorts
- 2 Woman in her 20s dies in A47 crash
- 3 Cyclist in her 50s dies in A11 crash
- 4 Michael Bublé concert bans chairs and blankets from gig
- 5 Man jealous of ex-wife's new relationship burnt down house
- 6 Husband sues hospital over 'medical neglect' death of wife
- 7 How much will Great Yarmouth's new Marina Centre cost?
- 8 Norfolk's landmark vote to curb second homes
- 9 A11 reopens after air ambulance called to crash
- 10 Roadworks and closures to be aware of in Norfolk this week
Broadbent the grasped Jamie Thurlbourne's 20 yard free kick after Defty was grappled to the deck.
Defty's near post flick was deflected behind but Luke Thurlbourne drilled Town level on 11 minutes from brother Jamie's clever corner.
Defty bravely headed Town in front when he beat Broadbent to Pat Bexfield's hanging cross to divert the ball home via a post from 16 yards.
Spriggs swivelled on Jamie Thurlbourne's cut back but scuffed at Broadbent after Town had carved open the hosts down the left.
Harris then wriggled free on 23 minutes but tamely poked wide from 10 yards with the keeper beaten. Lynn finally made their territorial dominance pay when Spriggs checked inside his marker to rifle past Broadbent from the edge after Bexfield's overlapping run created a sliver of space.
Shrieves reduced the arrears 28 seconds after the restart with Town appealing in vain for an offside flag.
Pags' dangerman Darren Dykes cut inside Jamie Alsop but Danny Buhlemann was around on the cover with Lynn struggling to pick up the pace following the break.
Defty rose unchallenged but grazed the bar from eight yards after Jamie Thurlbourne picked out his skipper.
Broadbent parried Defty's near post flick after Alsop sneaked in behind the home rearguard.
Harris pounced on the hour mark to control Defty's flick before ramming past Broadbent inside the Pags' penalty area.
Jamie Thurlbourne's volley struck Liam Smith from the edge with Town now looking to re-establish a measure of control.
Spriggs volleyed Defty's knockdown well over on 72 minutes before Dykes' ambitious 35 yard free kick slammed Town's sturdy wall.
Town second half arrival Dubi Ogbonna clipped against Broadbent's outstretched leg on 79 minutes after shaking off the attentions of Dean Buss to race clear. Dykes fired wide under pressure from the excellent Buhlemann in a comfortable end for the visitors.
• Newport Pagnell: Broadbent, Tapp, Williams, Thorpe, Buss, McBride, Dykes, Broomes, Shrieves (Brooks 81), Lynch, Smith. Subs (not used): Spruce, Barker.
• Booking: Williams
• Goals: Lynch (2), Shrieves (46)
• King's Lynn: Street, Bexfield, Alsop, L Thurlbourne, Buhlemann, Watson, Spriggs (Bacon 82), Doherty, Defty, Harris (Ogbonna 68), J Thurlbourne. Subs (not used): McNeil, Hails.
• Bookings: Alsop, Watson, Bacon
• Goals: L Thurlbourne (11), Defty (15), Spriggs (23), Harris (60)
• Referee: S Barry (Northants)
• Attendance: 326