Newmarket Town 0, Gorleston 1

This was a lacklustre performance from the Greens but they just did enough to secure all three points at the end of a traumatic period in the club's history.

Gorleston made three changes to the side that had drawn with third-placed Brantham in their previous match, eleven days earlier.

Elliot Pride returned to keep goal, Adam Mills began at right back with Kyle Howell on the bench. Eddie Thompson returned to the side and Keegan Middleton made his first start for the first team.

Playing up the slope in the first half, the Greens began well and made most of the early running before Newmarket began to find their way into the game.

Neither side troubled either goalkeeper until the 20th minute when Ally McKenna hit a weak effort from 18 yards which went straight to Jockey's keeper Kevin Bugg.

Gorleston currently have the habit of playing at their opponent's level and the Greens were struggling to get any flow or passing play into their game against a poor side who are already relegated.

Jack Garrod was looking the biggest danger down the right and Middleton was showing some good touches on the left and it was Middleton who had the best effort of the game on 34 minutes. After McKenna was challenged in the box the ball broke to Middleton who shot, beating the keeper, but defender David Grainger was back to head the ball over the bar.

Most Read

However, two minutes later Middleton turned provider when he got to the byline on the left and pulled the ball back to Chris Sandford making a charge into the box. Sandford's shot was saved by the keeper's legs but the ball rebounded nicely to Gary Williams who drilled it into the bottom corner of the net.

Five minutes into the second half Gorleston looked to have increased their lead. Garrod hit a shot that deflected off a defender to Williams and he thumped it into the goal. However, he was adjudged to be offside.

Three minutes later it was Williams again with a shot but it was straight at the keeper.

Mitch Forbes came on for Middleton after 65 minutes and, within three minutes, he forced the goalkeeper into a save when he cut in from the right hitting a shot across goal. Two minutes later a carbon copy effort again saw Bugg deny Forbes.

Forbes again, and Garrod, both had efforts go over the bar but as the game entered its final fifteen minutes, it was the Jockey's pressing for an equaliser, with the Greens playing at a canter.

But, Pride had no efforts on his target during the game and it was the Greens who held on for the three points to make it three games unbeaten.

• Gorleston: Elliot Pride, Adam Mills, Reece Hunn, Andy Howell (Steve Taylor, 38), Adam Thurtle, Eddie Thompson, Chris Sandford, Gary Williams (Kyle Howell, 89), Ally McKenna, Jack Garrod, Keegan Middleton (Mitch Forbes, 65)

Goal: Williams (36)

• Newmarket: Kevin Bugg, Ed McGreavy (Tom Bromley, 61), Aaron Collins, David Grainger, Steve Eastwood, Aaron Maskell, Warren Reddick, Joe Parr, Johnny Olive, Isaac Smith (Ben Hammond, 71), Ken Gray (Wes Boatright, 78)

Bookings: Grainger (55)