Newmarket 12, Holt 83: Champions finish the season in style
Champions Holt travelled to relegated Newmarket for their final game of the season and came away with an emphatic victory.
Holt soon made inroads into the opposition's half and Rumsby opened the scoring after two minutes with an unconverted try. The pressure was maintained and after eight minutes Woods scored following a five metre scrum, with Allen adding the points. It took another six minutes before the visitors increased their lead when Graham Ilsley went over for an unconverted try, making the score 17-0. It was one-way traffic all the way to half-time with tries coming at regular intervals to take the score up to 50-0. Young (2), Jarry-Ryan, Daniel Ilsley and Allen added further tries, with Allen contributing four more conversions.
The thought at the break was whether Holt could double their score, but the style of the game was altered with the introduction of uncontested scrums.
However the ever hungry visitors soon increased their lead when Knight scored his first try of the season.
Newmarket were striving to make an impression and were rewarded with an unconverted try before Woods scored his second try. With Allen adding the extras, the score now read 5-62.
You may also want to watch:
Following more concerted pressure, Howick scored his maiden try for the first 15, converted by Allen. Newmarket then scored a converted try from a charge down to reduce the arrears but Holt sealed their overall domination by scoring two more converted tries through Graham Ilsley and Rumsby. With Allen again being on target, the final score read 12-83 in Holt's favour.
This being the final game of Holt's season, everybody who has been involved can look back on an incredible achievement, starting way back last August. Next season will provide a further stiff examination of Holt's stamina.
- 1 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 2 Man and woman found dead in home
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 5 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 6 Car catches fire after early morning crash
- 7 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 8 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
- 9 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 10 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
Holt II finished an indifferent season in their Woodforde's Norfolk Merit Table with a creditable 20-17 home win against one time title contenders Beccles II.