New contract at Leicester Tigers for Norfolk prospect George Catchpole
- Credit: Tiger Images
Former Norwich School pupil George Catchpole has extended his contract with Leicester Tigers beyond the end of the current season.
The 22-year-old centre, who played junior rugby for North Walsham and is originally from St Olaves, near Great Yarmouth, has made 12 appearances for the Aviva Premiership club since making his debut in 2013. The length of Catchpole's new deal has not been revealed.
The Norfolk-born prospect won the World Junior Championship with the England Under-20s during the 2013/14 season and was awarded Leicester's Players' Young Player of the Season award last year.
Tigers director of rugby, Richard Cockerill, said: 'George is a good young player who has grown up within the Tigers environment.
'He established himself in the senior squad last season and with top-quality senior players around him, and Aaron Mauger and Geordan Murphy among the coaching team, we think he can continue to grow his game here.'
You may also want to watch:
Catchpole represented Eastern Counties as a youngster before joining Leicester's academy from the Norfolk EPDG (Elite Player Development Group).
Catchpole added: 'I've been here a while now after coming into the academy and it's a great place to play your rugby.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 3 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 4 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 5 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 8 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 9 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 10 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
'I enjoyed the experience when I got into the team last year and I want to keep working hard so I can make the most of those opportunities.'
The new deal was announced on a busy day for Leicester yesterday, when Sale winger Tom Brady, Newcastle hooker George McGuigan and South Africa prop Pat Cilliers were all confirmed as new signings for next season.
Catchpole was also joined by Kiwi scrum-half Jonno Kitto, 23, and fellow centre Jack Roberts, 24, in signing new contracts.